profit off of ipod mods

Posted by: whitlock

profit off of ipod mods - 07/29/04 07:55 PM

i've noticed that there are a few sites out there profiting off of modding ipods and other equipment. has anyone thought about starting a business devoted to that, or charge for other kinds of mods?
Posted by: ubergeek89

Re:profit off of ipod mods - 07/29/04 08:14 PM

I thought about it for a while... When I'm 18 (I'm only 14 now) I'd like to open up a computer store specializing in mods...
Posted by: KnifeLord

Re:profit off of ipod mods - 07/29/04 08:41 PM

I was kinda thinking the same as uber geek, but maybe branching it off of my dads and uncles busness... (so i dont have to pay nearly as high of taxes) are you thinking of starting one?

-Knife

Re:profit off of ipod mods - 07/29/04 09:37 PM

ubergeek89 wrote:
Quote:
I thought about it for a while... When I'm 18 (I'm only 14 now) I'd like to open up a computer store specializing in mods...

the only thing holding you back is the law. anyways, you find someone that can run the business for you and you act as an employee, but when you turn 18 you go dual partnership. gotta think these things out.

i was once a 14 year old with a pipe dream, but that was many years ago. now i sell my soul doing dsl phone support.

Re:profit off of ipod mods - 07/29/04 11:43 PM

Hey, does anyone actly want to try and start up a mod busness, and host it off of MacMod? (of corse w/ one of the owners, and there permission...)

-Knife
Posted by: JavaDog

Re:profit off of ipod mods - 07/30/04 04:58 PM

ubergeek89 wrote:
Quote:

Well, call me a realist, but there are a few problems with running a PC-Mod business.

1) Most people that want a unique mod, do it themselves (us true geeks). Most others that just want a window and some lights - well, now the case mfgs are catering to them.

Running a store that builds basic whitebox computers and does onsite repair is a decent business - exspecially if you cater to larger companies (and hospitals!) that don't have onsite IT staff. Also, Governement Bids. That is where the real money is, not gamers or modders. Then you can do gaming rigs and mods on the side, if you have time. The bread and butter is Business and Government.

2) Dell and HP/Compaq. It is getting much more difficult to match or beat their prices for business machines. Add in the warranties they offer, and it gets even harder to compete. Now, you and I know that a custom built rig with top-shelf components will be better, but in the real world, price rules. Businesses don't care about FPS on a cubicle-bound work machine. They want cheap, and if it breaks, they want it fixed yesterday - at no extra cost.

3) Real modding takes time, time is money, you have to make that back. Most of your Joe-Sixpacks will have a hard time swallowing a case that cost $150 because of the slick modding you did to it. The ones who know and can accept the costs, are usually the ones doing it themselves.

4) The internet. Internet PC suppliers will KILL a retail store on price EVERY TIME. It is a cut-throat business. Having to figure in Taxes, Rent, Electricity into your Inventory Costs will often leave you either (I) higher cost than online e-tailers or (II) with no margin for profit.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but this is the business I am in. I deal with small (and large!) computer mfg/resellers on a daily basis. It is getting harder and harder to run a small (read: Not national chain) computer store. margins are razor thin, profits are tiny, volume is the only way to keep up (hence the Governement Bids and Business Contracts).

Sorry to rain on your parade, but if you are willing to invest $20,000-$50,000 start up costs into your business, you should be fully aware that there is a good chance of going under in the first year - and losing it all.

Post edited by: JavaDog, at: 2004/07/30 17:03

Re:profit off of ipod mods - 07/30/04 05:57 PM

I fully understand, javadog, but this is where I've been all my life. I've been using computers since I was two (How I miss my Apple IIc) , and online since I was three (ah the mac IIfx), I've grown up in the best part of the computer age, And I want to be a part of it. I built my first computer when I was 9. So you can see, it's what I want to do. Whether or not I fail, I'm going to fail in a Job I love. I don't know about you, but I'd rather fail having fun, than succeed being miserable. Sorry to put you through the sob story, but thats how I feel.
Posted by: JavaDog

Re:profit off of ipod mods - 07/30/04 06:56 PM

ubergeek89 wrote:
Quote:
I fully understand, javadog, but this is where I've been all my life. I've been using computers since I was two (How I miss my Apple IIc) , and online since I was three (ah the mac IIfx), I've grown up in the best part of the computer age, And I want to be a part of it. I built my first computer when I was 9. So you can see, it's what I want to do. Whether or not I fail, I'm going to fail in a Job I love. I don't know about you, but I'd rather fail having fun, than succeed being miserable. Sorry to put you through the sob story, but thats how I feel.

Oh same here, that's why I am a Technical Support Technician for a global IT distributor. I get to see the new stuff before anyone else, tons of perks, and great pay.

Owning your own computer business is rarely fun, and it gets old fast. If you love computers, think about college and working in the IT/Admin field. Good luck either way!

Post edited by: JavaDog, at: 2004/07/30 18:57

Re:profit off of ipod mods - 07/30/04 08:25 PM

Thanks, good point, I do do some self employed on call repair stuff, and once in a blue moon my dads company will give me something to do, for example, I got to use a G5 2 weeks before it was officially realeased becuase the owner of the company my dad works for wanted me to put some cold cathodes in it. It's a great job, and I do understand the risks of tarting your own buisness.

Re:profit off of ipod mods - 07/31/04 12:30 AM

i have worked small bsuiness retail and it is a really tough market. javadog made some really valid points, and it was really a struggle to keep business. especially at a store that sold mac and pc. the pc side ended up bringing some steady income, but the mac side was always the cash cow (for those wondering). now if you offered sets where you could choose certain types of mods, then work from there like a template/cookie cutter that may work. you also have to remember that there is a reason why body shops and auto places carry the basics as well. it may not work out too well retail, but as a compliment to the business you would already have in play. a garnish to the dish.

Re:profit off of ipod mods - 07/31/04 06:15 PM

Good advice. Are you planing to work off your dads busness, or open your own, and if opening your own, is it gona be web based or store based?

-Knife
Posted by: Surfadelic

Re:profit off of ipod mods - 04/06/05 05:26 PM

How does one go about getting work as a hardware geek, but without the piece of paper saying ya know what yer doing? I kinda missed my calling, back in '93 when I quit from the Computerland Indy distribution center, as I could've eventually worked my way into their Configuration department, where complete PCs were assembled from parts coming from the pick zone, or existing computers, including Macs, received customer ordered upgrades before they were shipped. But, after nearly falling asleep at the wheel, after an 18 hour shift, having worked 15 hours the 2 previous days, I realized my future might wind up 6 feet under, so continuing with Computerland was out of the question.

I do plan on taking the A+ Hardware Certification test, in the coming future, along with going for a Macintosh specialization after that, but I must first get around to ordering a study guide or two that've been suggested. Otherwise, I'll find work where I can, and see what happens in the future.

Matt
Posted by: maestro

Re:profit off of ipod mods - 04/07/05 01:16 AM

That is some good forum speak. Wouldn't it be great if we could actually follow our own
dreams. That is just not how things are anymore. Heres an idea for ya. Publish a monthly magazine. Information is always alot more valuable than products. Informations never needs to be repaired, doesn't have the chain store pushin you out, and isnt a prone to being "in" and then out. After all we give away alot of great information on this site and so do alot of other sites. I buy PC mod magazines cause their are no Mac versions.
-maestro
Posted by: dead13

Re:profit off of ipod mods - 04/07/05 01:51 AM

thats a great idea i'm going to look into what it takes to make a successful magazine would it be better online or at the newstand?and any suggestions on a name??
Posted by: krusher117

Re:profit off of ipod mods - 04/07/05 01:57 AM

MacMod needs a magazine and I see a quarterly coming out in a couple years, but the distribution necessary to succeed with a magazine is quite high (unless done entirely online). That's why you don't see any mac modding or gaming magazines on the shelves. MacMod Magazine would rock. We don't have enough staff to make a magazine....yet.

BTW, as far as a mod store goes......keep it online and spend the money you'll save on rent promoting yourself online.

Re:profit off of ipod mods - 04/07/05 02:10 AM

i would be willing to contribute guiides to the magazine say like upgrading an ipod battery or hard drive and god knows i'm gonna be an expert at taking apart an ibook by the time i'm finished modding the one i have i got that g3 900 for 75 bucks and am going to start next week.i'll take plenty of pics and write a thorough guide on that project.
Posted by: krusher117

Re:profit off of ipod mods - 04/07/05 02:19 AM

75!!!!!! Thats a steal
what was wrong with it.

Dead send me an email anthony (at) macmod (dot) com. You might like to join our staff and write articles for the front page.

Post edited by: krusher117, at: 2005/04/07 09:19

Re:profit off of ipod mods - 04/07/05 03:47 PM

As far as i know nothing is wrong with it. I sent you an e-mail about the writing thing send me something back man.