iPod WOODIE!!!

Posted by: KnifeLord

iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/28/04 09:51 PM

Hey,
I was thinking of taking my Gen 1 iPod (just got a new battary...) gutting it, and making a new case compleatly of wood... i have tools and ideas, but i was wondering if anyone knows a site that has the complete iPod Gen1 Specks (i tryed mesureing everything and just got frustrated....)
Thanx, PS does anyone think this is worth my time....?

-Knife

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/28/04 10:23 PM

Wanted to add, does anyone know if this has even been done before? If so is there a website that would tell me about it?... thanx

-Knife
Posted by: krusher117

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/28/04 10:50 PM

I think this is a very unique idea.....I have never heard of anyone attempting this before. I'll keep my eye open for scientific measurements on the ipod internals

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/28/04 10:54 PM

Ok thanx. just incase anyone wants to know i am thinking either Apple (obvious reasions...) or Walnut for wood. and well still working on its looks.

-Knife

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/28/04 10:57 PM

will you be able to maintain a slim (I know its rev 1) form factor or will you have to make it really thick for strength?

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/28/04 11:00 PM

i am thinking that i will make about 1/4 or 1/8 inch edges around where the metal is, and keeping the same thickness on the front. the top is my biggest problem right now, cause idk if the wood will break if i make it that thin, then again, it is agenst the metal on the top and will probally hold, still imaging this but i think i have it...

-Knife
Posted by: Anonymous

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/29/04 12:03 AM

How are you going about this? Are you steaming the wood, and then bending into shape? Or are you planning on cutting, routing, chiseling out the 'hollow' of the wood? Or maybe CNCing it?

Very unique idea, and one that will be awesome to see once finished.

Good luck!

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/29/04 12:11 AM

I am cutting it... router... bandsaw... and so on...
what is CNCing it?

Ps thanx

-Knife
Posted by: whitlock

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/29/04 12:31 AM

cherry wood would look really professional, though a bit pricy. walnut will give a good look. remember if you soak the wood you can bend it a bit, to give it the curved exterior if that is something you are looking at doing. i've always like mods with wood (except when people stop half way and duct tape the rest). i really want to see it when you are done. and don't forget to post a mod guide for it.

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/29/04 12:39 AM

The main reasion i am thinking walnut or apple is because i have some already that wood be thick enough... but cheery would look nice, i think i will start thinking of it in that respect... thanx for the idea. I am mainly thinking of making it out of one block, then well too hard to explane.... but its not gona bend or be made of seprate peices.... at least thats not what i am thinking right now.

-Knife

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/29/04 12:52 AM

I guess its my turn for shameless advertising....

make it and submit it in the competition!!!! laugh

....now back to your regularly scheduled broadcast

Whitlock, how much can you bend the wood? Im not considering a mod with wood, but Ive never seen it done. Does it hold its shape afterward? How long do you have to let it dry? Does it need to be heated? ETC ETC.

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/29/04 12:57 AM

It compleatly depends on what kind of wood, and its thickness, the thicker the wood the harder to bend (duh). but if you have paper thin Walnut for example you can almost fold it when it is wet/steemed (steeming works better in my opinion but that might just be me) yet 1 inch walnut can barely bend 90° so it all depends... if you steem it it drys quickly, but if you get it wet it is slower and can come out of shape less obviously until it is too late.

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/29/04 01:21 AM

MUST KEEP WOODIE ON TOP OF LATEST FORUM POSTS lol. ok idk if anyone read the main question but i really need some specs on the Gen 1/gen 2 iPods, so that i can build the case. any help apperated!!! thank you.

-Knife

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/29/04 01:37 AM

well, nothing sharper than 30 degrees, or when the wood starts to dry it may crack. though that may be pushing it, thought that will give the biggest ipod curve for you. for the wood itself, have you thought about what you are going to use to bond?

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/29/04 01:44 AM

ok, no offence but is anyone reading what i am saying? I am trying this out of a single peice of wood, no glue!!! no bends!!! i just wanted to explane how to bend, but i plan to make it like a old box thingy... well ok i cant explane it, but i will make a mod post for it.

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/29/04 01:54 AM

I emailed this one dude who wrote up a diassembly guide to see if he had those figures. i'm sure I'll know by tomorrow

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/29/04 02:03 AM

1/8" to 1/4" wood is what i would imagine as the proper thickness to do what you need to , if i was to take an educated guess. it seems like it would be sturdy enough.
Posted by: ubergeek89

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/29/04 02:05 AM

KnifeLord wrote:
Quote:
what is CNCing it?

Ps thanx

-Knife

CNC is a router machine that will etc and cut things from a computer drawing.
Basically like a laser cutter.

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/29/04 02:07 AM

CNC milling is done by computer. If you've seen any of the bike shows on TV, they do it all the time with the bike wheels. Stick in a chunk of something, computer cuts it out. Of course, they have ones specific to the type of material being used (wood, metal, type of metal, plastic, etc.).

KnifeLord wrote:
Quote:
what is CNCing it?

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/29/04 02:12 AM

I'm sure you want more than just dimensions, but Apple lists these in it's spec. sheet for 1st Generation iPods:

Height: 4.02 inches (102 mm)
Width: 2.43 inches (61.8 mm)
Depth: 0.78 inch (19.9 mm)
Weight: 6.5 ounces (185 g)

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/29/04 02:37 AM

THANK YOU! but i also kinda need the wheel and screen, and some of the internal parts.

-Knife

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/29/04 02:41 AM

way back when in high school i had access to some cnc equipment and we got to make some stuff with acrylic. that was cool, though the piece of acrylic was only 2x5, so kinda pointless. i can't remember what happened to it, but it was pretty cool.

hey, knifelord, if you get stumped on some wood questions, like forming it the way you want to look, i would hope nthere may be a specialized store in your town that you can go to, like a wood/lumber store or a hardware store with the knowledgable kook. hey, i'm all in for you. and also, don't forget to get a decent file, and different grade sandpapers. a 100 is really good for most work, and 300 will make it super smooth. any higher for wood is pretty much overkill. i'm pretty sure that the finished product is going to look really good.

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/29/04 02:46 AM

forgot to mention... my dad and uncle are pro. hand made cabinate makers (ok came out wrong but you get it...) so i basically can ask them any major questions i have.

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/29/04 02:47 AM

KnifeLord wrote:
Quote:
forgot to mention... my dad and uncle are pro. hand made cabinate makers (ok came out wrong but you get it...) so i basically can ask them any major questions i have.

your set then. wow, i wish i had access to some of those tools.

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/29/04 12:17 PM

yeah they are big fans of hand tools, so i dont have any atomated tools, sadly. so most of the work will be done by hand. sry i was cut off early yesterday didnt finish my message, and forgot my train of thought. lol but thanx any and all help is needed.

-Knife
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/29/04 02:49 PM

Sounds like you have a good idea and know where you are going with this. I await the mod guide of the finished product! laugh

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! ( krusher117 read) - 07/29/04 03:26 PM

Hey,
idk how to send the message thingys... but by chance did that one friend of yours email you back? about dementions. uh i think thats ill have to add right now....

thanx

-Knife

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! ( krusher117 read) - 07/29/04 03:37 PM

I believe that was anthony that was looking into that for you. I will ask him about it as soon as I get the chance. To send messages? You mean private messages? Go to your Message Shop under your usermenu. Or you can hit the PM icon next to the name in the forum. I still don't have a notifier on the site for the messages, so, for now, you will have to periodically check your box.

Cheers,
Jacob

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/29/04 03:41 PM

Oh, ok thanx

-Knife

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/29/04 07:14 PM

I haven't received an email from him yet regarding measurements of internal parts

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/29/04 11:46 PM

Ok,
Just incase you ppl out there are lazy lol, here is what i need for the iPod Woodie, Dementions of EVERYTHING (on the iPod, not on my design...) for G1 iPods. I am thinking Walnut, Cherry, Apple, or curly maple for woods right now. I would appreate any and all ideas/information. Thanx

-Knife

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/29/04 11:49 PM

Oh and I forgot to mention, anyone can e-mail me, KnifeLordV@netscape.net. or IM me, Palmerboy2003 (aim) But i dont stay on very often with that sn...

-Knife

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/30/04 01:40 AM

OK, finaly i have a better idea of my idea. ok did that make since I THINK NOT! tho i dont really care.

First I want the ipod's components to drop down into the box (milled out, at this point i might just mill it by hand...) then i want the top to slide on, and have a small slice on it so that it will slide over the keys and fit snug as a bug in a rug, I also want to add a top, i have no idea what that will turn out as... but hopefully it will look good.... Anyone want to work with my ideas plz post, i want this to be really cool, especally bc i love my iPod lol.

-Knife

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! (more than my woodie this time) - 07/30/04 02:24 AM

Built a stand for my iPod out of walnut, very cool!!! i will post pics here soon, this is the same color walnut that i want to use for the woodie... and its the same ipod. listeing to it now "as tears go by" ok so not my fav song, but better than Linkin Park (how can anyone listen to that stuff it makes my ears hurt, and wasts my brain. especally seeing as they arnt even hired to sing they are hired as a punk-rock shilded boy band RRRRRRRR stupid 'LP' i might start a new form about this, if one of the adims would add a section labeld "MUSIC- the good, the bad, the ugly"

-Knife
Posted by: ubergeek89

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! (more than my woodie this time) - 07/30/04 02:39 AM

Rather than an new housing for the ipod, how about a protective caseing that allows access to buttons and screen (maybe a sheet of lexan over the screen.

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/30/04 02:52 AM

well lexon isnt wood... lol thats an idea i have been pondering, but i still kinda want to do my full wood woodie, have you ever taken the ipod componets out of the ipod? it will show you a little more of why wood would be cool, well maybe it wont, depends lol.... but i really want to do the woodie. What if we had a compatition see who can make the ipod look better? (u need a gen 1 ipod see if you can get ur dad to get you one off of ebay they will probally be real cheep....) then we can have the iPod extream editing!!!

-Knife

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/30/04 03:42 AM

Still waiting for dementions PLZ HELP ME, i feel like a broken record... maybe i will continue quoting random things... then again maybe not.

-Knife

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/30/04 03:45 AM

i've spent some time trying to help you out with your dimensions, but am unable to locate them. i do not have access to your generation ipod, so unfortunatly i am unable to disect and place my shop ruler next to every piece.

i know your excited about this project, but if you are going to take apart your ipod anyways, why don't you dissasemble it? it may be the fastest solution at this point in time.

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/30/04 04:29 AM

yeah i took it apart, but i am still thinking about basic wood dementions, Thanx for searching tho, i gues i will just try mesuring them all again...

-Knife

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/30/04 03:58 PM

Still looking for dementions, and deciding to fall back on just mesureing everything by hand.... how boring... but i wanted to mention the battary i bought from "Batterys for less" works great. It wont die, i am trying to run it down, buit it has been on for 10 hours straight, and still has two out of four bars... go G1 ipods...

-Knife
Posted by: JavaDog

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/30/04 05:07 PM

KnifeLord wrote:
Quote:
I am mainly thinking of making it out of one block, then well too hard to explane....

-Knife

Not hard to understand at all. A solid block, routed or hand-chisled down, would be the nicest and cleanest way to do it. Another thought, make the back-sides out of a solid block, and maybe make the front (single flat peice) out of thin brushed alum. B)

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/30/04 06:11 PM

that might look really cool, but if i am gona use brushed metal i think i would rather have steel/stainless steel, just for strangth pourpouses... but i will defently think about a metal top. thanx for the sugestion!

-Knife

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/31/04 01:33 AM

if you are gonna make a metal top, just do it all the way around! That would be sick! wink

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 07/31/04 06:02 PM

but then it wouldnt be a woodie lol...

-Knife

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 08/03/04 02:11 PM

Hate to say this, but I am running out of time for my Woodie, I am about to embark on a 500 mile bike trip in Canada, and soon after that i will be going back to school, I will atempt to compleate it before the school year begins, So, if you dont see the mod out by the end of the month, it probally wont be done till winter break.... thanx for the ideas tho. IT will evently be done, i just am loseing time....

-Knife

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 08/03/04 02:37 PM

well get started on it! wink This way you can submit it in the competition.

Cheers.

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 08/03/04 06:25 PM

Well, its not that i dont want to, but i have to get ready for this huge bike trip... so i dont really have time... its uh sad. I will try tho. Oh and should i post a mod guide on my iPod stands?

-Knife

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 08/04/04 07:18 PM

Sheesh, five pages of nonsense, and the poor guy doesn't get to submit the mod.

Hope your trip goes well! Can't wait to see your mod when it's done.
Posted by: Stranger06

Re:iPod WOODIE!!! - 01/17/05 09:44 PM

Sounds like a really cool idea. I am interested as to what it will look like when it is all finished. I too think that cherry wood would look very good for the design but it is totally up to you. Hope it turns out how you want it too.