how to get rear cover off ipod

Posted by: sam848

how to get rear cover off ipod - 06/06/04 06:11 PM

Well i dropped mine :x mad and put a nice little dent on the underside of the ipod... is that rear (chrome) section removable? I know i can easily get that dent out if it is (will most likely be massaged out). any suggestions???
Posted by: karl

Re:how to get rear cover off ipod - 06/07/04 12:58 PM

Which iPod is it? 1G, 2G or 3G?

Re:how to get rear cover off ipod - 06/07/04 01:02 PM

Here is a take apart, with pics for changing the battery, but it will show you how to remove the back http://www.ipodbattery.com/ipodinstall.htm These instructions are for a 1 or 2G iPod not a 3G.

Re:how to get rear cover off ipod - 06/07/04 01:08 PM

Here is another http://www.popsci.com/popsci/computers/article/0,12543,588084-2,00.html Again not a 3G. ALSO both of these may void your warranty as Apple doesn't like when you take apart your stuff smile

Post edited by: Karl, at: 2004/06/07 16:35
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:how to get rear cover off ipod - 06/07/04 01:18 PM

Karl, thanks for pointing out that mod. I have posted it in the mod guides section for ipods. If you find anything else in the future, posting the mod youself would help us all out. This way it doesn't get lost in the forum and later users with the same question will have a place to find the answer.

Cheers mate! wink
Posted by: Anonymous

Re:how to get rear cover off ipod - 06/09/04 01:38 AM

Can anyone explain how to use the described screwdriver trick to pop the case off, without damaging the plastic. I don't know how many times I've tried to be so careful (with whatever it is I'm trying to take apart) and end up putting screwdriver dents into the plastic. Obviously it looks like crap afterwards.

What would be nice is if someone would come up with a case cracker like used to be available with old one-piece Macs (Mac Classics and earlier). From looking at the illustrated mods, I'm not sure it would work with so many plastic latches.
Posted by: whitlock

Re:how to get rear cover off ipod - 06/09/04 01:39 AM

i always used a paint knife, and that worked pretty well
Posted by: Anonymous

Re:how to get rear cover off ipod - 06/09/04 01:49 AM

Good idea. Broad knife with decent strength. Thanks!
Posted by: hubiedoo

Re:how to get rear cover off ipod - 06/09/04 02:29 AM

Anybody know what the apple techs use to get the cover off? I suppose they have a spiffy magical tool to do the job.
Posted by: pdaconnection

Re:how to get rear cover off ipod - 09/18/04 02:42 PM

The easiest way (check my Jolly Roger iPod Mod) is to go to your local music shop and pick up a thin and a medium guitar pick, while holding the ipod facing you, apply light pressure in the center of the back then it will create a gap on the side with just enough room to stick the thin pick in. Then you slide the med. pick in behind the thin one and start sliding it towards the bottom and it should pop out. Be careful with 2nd gen. as the top is around the sound jack and can easily break it, you have to work the back from the bottom and lift it up over the jack and on 3rd gen the jacks are in the back itself but there is a ribbon from the mainboard to the back that can easily be broke. Well hope this help all of you B)