Color ipod?

Posted by: scottk

Color ipod? - 06/05/04 05:58 PM

Just a dumb question from a newbie .. is it technically feasible to take a LCD from a video camera and put it in the ipod to add color to it or is it just a pipe dream? What are the differences between the two kinds of screens?
Posted by: krosario

Re:Color ipod? - 06/05/04 11:49 PM

but apple probably wants to keep the cost of the parts low so they would just keep the black and white... but hey if they did... i wouldn't mind watching videos on an ipod!

Re:Color ipod? - 06/06/04 12:33 AM

Here's my thing. Videos are too small on an ipod. It's not really practical. But seeing the photos you take on an ipod .. that's a great idea and you need color for that.
Posted by: krusher117

4th Gen iPod rendering - 06/06/04 01:57 AM

Here is it

All Touch Screen and Full Color.
Capable of Movies, Pictures, & Music (including WMA)

Post edited by: krusher117, at: 2004/06/06 04:58
Posted by: michYankeeFan

Re:4th Gen iPod rendering - 06/06/04 02:23 AM

Now that would be COOL! :ohmy:
Posted by: Anonymous

Re:4th Gen iPod rendering - 06/06/04 02:34 AM

I like your COMPLETE lack of realistic detail. Maybe Apple will come out with a touch screen infrared holographic IMac next.

:unsure:

Re:4th Gen iPod rendering - 06/06/04 02:39 AM

It wasn't intened to be realistic. It was just a fun, wouldn't it be cool different look, iPod.
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:4th Gen iPod rendering - 06/06/04 03:24 AM

Not too bad. The screen would get pretty scratched up, and the battery life would suck most likely, unless apple developed some new battery, which I highly doubt.

Re:4th Gen iPod rendering - 06/06/04 03:31 AM

ALSO, the 4th gen ipod (my version) will have an integrated GSM cell phone and a camera in the back. And its powered by a tiny hydroplant :unsure:so it NEVER runs out of juice unless the tiny waterfall from the tiny spring runs dry.

Post edited by: krusher117, at: 2004/06/06 06:34
Posted by: mark

Re:4th Gen iPod rendering - 06/06/04 04:07 AM

krusher117 wrote:
Quote:
And its powered by a tiny hydroplant :unsure:so it NEVER runs out of juice unless the tiny waterfall from the tiny spring runs dry.

mmmm perpetual energy.... How 'bout a built in defense mechanism/ tracking device for all those would be iPod thiefs?

Re:4th Gen iPod rendering - 06/06/04 04:26 AM

Sorry I forgot. Apple and GM teamed up to bring onstar(r) to the iPod 4th gen. Satellite tracking, operator service and remote control of your ipod from anywhere in the world, all with the little blue button of onstar (not pictured because its located on the left side. laugh laugh
Posted by: DaleCo2k

Re:Color ipod? - 06/06/04 05:02 AM

scottk wrote:
Quote:
Just a dumb question from a newbie .. is it technically feasible to take a LCD from a video camera and put it in the ipod to add color to it or is it just a pipe dream? What are the differences between the two kinds of screens?

Not to interrupt the dreaming but to answer the original question. Gernerally the difference between a black and white and color LCD is the method that the pixel is given a color. For the black and white only a single number is needed to give a grayscale (assuming the screen is a newer one that supports grayscale. otherwise the pixel is just on or off). The color LCDs require a set of three numbers to determine the RGB color of the pixel. From a hardware standpoint they are both connected through a serial connection that should be compatible. The problem lies within the software not knowing how to talk to the color LCD. So basically I wont say that it is impossible but I am sure it would require massive software changes that I dont know how to do. Hope this helps answer your question.

Re:4th Gen iPod rendering - 06/06/04 01:35 PM

I'd absolutely pay for that. And second place would be the functionality. The first place there is the look. It would turn heads everywhere. Actually, though, Apple is about turning heads and with the ipod they've managed to do that and offer something so totally cool. I can't wait to see what WWDC has in store.

Re:4th Gen iPod rendering - 06/06/04 07:31 PM

For those of you who think that a full touch screen iPod isn't possible check this out

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/04/video_players/

Post edited by: krusher117, at: 2004/06/06 22:32

Re:4th Gen iPod rendering - 06/07/04 12:42 AM

Oh I believe it's possible. I think it makes sesne. Styli are misplaceable. Touchscreen is the wave of the future. But you'd have to deal with thumbprints smile

Re:4th Gen iPod rendering - 06/07/04 01:36 AM

OH..I wonder how much that would cost.
Posted by: eyefudge

Re:4th Gen iPod rendering - 06/07/04 11:54 AM

Check this out, if you haven't already:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=472
Posted by: karl

Re:4th Gen iPod rendering - 06/08/04 04:52 PM

.... oo oooh AND it comes with a tiny intaglio printer to pint up all the Benjamins you would need to pay for it, right? smile

Re:4th Gen iPod rendering - 06/08/04 10:08 PM

To me, it doesn't have to be that fancy. It just needs to work. And the whole Airport extreme and airtunes idea is an example of just that. Unwiring the house is the wave of the future and you know it's not stopping with music.
Posted by: tombuon

Re:4th Gen iPod rendering - 06/08/04 11:00 PM

It would be a wonderful thing tho. No doubt there!!!
Posted by: xbetterforworsex

Re:4th Gen iPod rendering - 10/29/05 07:23 AM

krusher117 wrote:
Quote:
Here is it

All Touch Screen and Full Color.
Capable of Movies, Pictures, & Music (including WMA)

Post edited by: krusher117, at: 2004/06/06 04:58

That.would.be.so.cool. Oh man. Woudl there be a way to do this? I mean you'd have to write your own app for it most likely, but I mean it really wouldn't be that hard would it? How card would it be to get a touch screen that size?
This could be the coolest thing. I kinda hope Apple lurks this forum!
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:4th Gen iPod rendering - 10/29/05 07:48 AM

FreddieIsAFruit wrote:
Quote:
I like your COMPLETE lack of realistic detail. Maybe Apple will come out with a touch screen infrared holographic IMac next.

It's apparent you don't keep up with geek news. This is far, FAR from being unrealistic. The concept is already patented and selling. Give it a few more years and it will be a viable alternative.

Re:4th Gen iPod rendering - 10/29/05 07:49 AM

xbetterforworsex wrote:
Quote:
Woudl there be a way to do this? I mean you'd have to write your own app for it most likely, but I mean it really wouldn't be that hard would it? How card would it be to get a touch screen that size? This could be the coolest thing. I kinda hope Apple lurks this forum!

It's already being done. For the life of me, I'm trying to find the music player that already impliments it. It was supposed to be an "iPod killer" but nobody bought it because... well, it's not an iPod. wink

Re:4th Gen iPod rendering - 10/29/05 10:18 AM

I looked at that one nice one (mmm the Mobinote DVX-POD 7010) and it's pretty nice, but its not an ipod.
I've been thinking a lot about this an I think I might try and "throw one together". I think it's very possible to make an ipod one, it'll just take some time and money. Both of wich I'm willing to spare if it has to do with a touch screen ipod!

Re:4th Gen iPod rendering - 10/29/05 01:47 PM

xbetterforworsex wrote:
Quote:
I looked at that one nice one (mmm the Mobinote DVX-POD 7010) and it's pretty nice, but its not an ipod.
I've been thinking a lot about this an I think I might try and "throw one together". I think it's very possible to make an ipod one, it'll just take some time and money. Both of wich I'm willing to spare if it has to do with a touch screen ipod!

If you pull this off, make sure you do a mod guide. You would then be my hero. :blink:

Re:4th Gen iPod rendering - 10/29/05 02:26 PM

shadowboxer47 wrote:
Quote:
xbetterforworsex wrote:
Quote:

If you pull this off, make sure you do a mod guide. You would then be my hero. :blink:

haha I'm totaly working on it. I just need someone that can write a program to run this. I mean really if I put an 80gig in it could run a pretty hardcore app, including the touchscreen implamentation. We'll see how it goes.