Hackintosh Mini

Posted by: TCPMeta

Hackintosh Mini - 05/30/09 09:09 PM

Too keep myself busy I have decided to build a Macintosh Mini.

I'm going to use the old carputer ATX-2 power supply since it is small in size and for the moment a standard micro ATX motherboard.
The case I'm planing to use is my old Xbox case. Since my Xbox died I striped it down and started grinding off the old mounts/stand offs.

The case can hold the motherboard and power supply perfectly. I'm planning to use a laptop based optical drive and hard drive. For the time being this will not be a Hackintosh but a dumb terminal until I can locate another Celeron CPU for the motherboard I want to use. For now it's a AMD Sepron system. Since PC motherboards are swapable this would be a quick change when the time comes. Tomorrow i'll start posting pics of the build.

Mounting the hardware will be easy as cake. Just use a white marker and mark the mounting holes then use some screws and a few nuts. The tricky part is the optical drive since I want to use the OEM placement, i'll just fab up a tray and some mounts out of sheet metal. Since the northbridge on both motherboards are at the same location I can't use a desktop optical drive due to the massive heatsinks. I'll play with it anyway, last thing I want is gaps or the use of bondo or fiberglass on this project.
Posted by: Oelmuvun

Re: Hackintosh Mini - 05/31/09 11:51 AM

Nice. Looking forward to this thing's completion. smile

Re: Hackintosh Mini - 05/31/09 03:34 PM

Well I was hoping that I didn't have to pull out the fiberglass but I broke off a chunk of the case I wanted to keep.

This shot has just a random motherboard I grabbed out of the closet.

Re: Hackintosh Mini - 06/01/09 09:42 PM

I haven't touched it since yesterday but I have gotten a few ideas to try tomorrow or should I say later today since it's almost 1am.

Re: Hackintosh Mini - 06/03/09 05:57 AM

I've started installing the mounts for the motherboard and power supply. It just hit me. I broke the top to the case cover months ago. I was wondering why I couldn't find it. I guess i'll ether hunt down a broken xbox off of ebay or just buy a used one from EB games since the xbox is dirt cheap these days.

I need to pull out the soldiering iron and start on the front panel circuit. Going to have power and optical buttons and use the backlit LED as a hard drive indicator. I'm thinking to add a reset button but have it located on the back of the unit and also have a main power switch kinda like the PS2/3.

To fix the screw up on the back of the case I'm going to make a template out of cardboard then wrap it with foil and pull out the fiberglass. I'll play with the fiberglass on Sunday.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Hackintosh Mini - 11/18/09 06:22 PM

Where are you now with it?

Re: Hackintosh Mini - 11/19/09 06:55 PM

It's on hold. Started on a joint project with a member in my car club on building a better/cheaper car computer system.

Looking back on it kinda scares me since there will be a lot of fiberglass work needed.