exterior parts swap b&w g3-g4 can it be done

Posted by: geekdude

exterior parts swap b&w g3-g4 can it be done - 09/07/08 07:51 PM

hi im new to the forum. i have a g4 and i dont like the translucent drab grey-dark blue color i want to know if i can get the blue and white panels off of a g3 and stick them on my g4.
Posted by: zenstate

Re: exterior parts swap b&w g3-g4 can it be done - 09/07/08 09:21 PM

If your G4 if a Yikes, Sawtooth or Gigabit ethernet then the plastics will fit 100% but if you have a digital audio or newer then the back is different as it adds another PCI slot. The Quicksilver and MDD are very different front and back.

The side panels from all will work on all and the top panel should also. The fronts and backs are what could possibly not fit for you.

Re: exterior parts swap b&w g3-g4 can it be done - 09/08/08 06:43 AM

ok cool. it says 1999 on the cpu board so i should be good because the digital audio came out after that. i think i have an "agp graphics" model. it has 3 pci slots 1agp slot, 4 ram slots, a pcmcia and a zip drive. the zip drive may be a problem though because it has its own bezel.

actually i was thinking about replacing the front, back and top and keeping the sides and handles. is there any way of replacing just the apple in the middle? it looks like its made from two separate pieces of plastic
Posted by: zenstate

Re: exterior parts swap b&w g3-g4 can it be done - 09/08/08 08:29 AM

From what you're saying you have either a Sawtooth or a Gigabit so you're good to go for the front, top and back.

Regarding the side panel apple logos.. its a separate piece (apple and stem) thats glued on. I found a standard butter knife to be the best tool. I simply stick the tip between the edge and the logo and slowly pried it up. Once you get the knife blade under it about an inch start to slowly work it around full 360. By the time you're back to where you started it should just pull right off. Be sure not to use too much force or you will break the logo. Happened to me the first time I tried it and I had to krazy glue it back together. The stem pulls out quite easily.

Re: exterior parts swap b&w g3-g4 can it be done - 09/08/08 11:05 AM

oh yeah forgot to mention 10/100 printed on the mobo around the Ethernet port so its probably a sawtooth. thanks for the info now all i need is to find the parts. off to trading post