Old iMac needs opinions

Posted by: moorah

Old iMac needs opinions - 02/21/08 06:07 AM

im currently on a Rev A iMac G5 lovely machine but old and out of warranty. Anyway i have a help request or more of a personal opinion
my fans have had it liturally driving me to the end of my teather and have had a sudden spark of idea's i want to take apart and modify my mac

1. build my own perspex case for everything but the screen, hard drive and disk drive
2. extend the connections from the screen, hard drive and disk drive (to be kept in the White iMac Case) while submerging the motherboard in mineral oil and removing the fans

that is the basic run down of my plan, but i need a professional opinion.. Is it possible?

honestly all i need is some diagrams of extending the wires, some help designing the case and some links that may help me.
Posted by: krusher117

Re: Old iMac needs opinions - 02/21/08 08:05 AM

i think the only difficult part is going to be the screen extension, but thats just not impossible by any means. I've never seen a mineral oil mac although it has crossed my mind several times to do one myself. I can't wait to see yours!

On a side note I sold my G5 iMac because the thing ran ridiculously hot all the time. The iMacs were/are great machines, but the G5 models were not equipped to handle the heat.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Old iMac needs opinions - 02/21/08 11:54 AM

A few of these seem to be dying lately. They start running the fans all the time, then random shutdowns, then the die.
I reapplied thermal paste on one which was shutting down (console said due to overheat) twice but it still fails again after a while. Hopefully an oil bath will be enough.
Posted by: BigO

Re: Old iMac needs opinions - 02/21/08 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: "moorah"
extend the connections from the screen, hard drive and disk drive (to be kept in the White iMac Case) while submerging the motherboard in mineral oil and removing the fans

You know what would be sweet? There have been several mac fishtank mods, you could take one of those and fill it up with mineral oil with some backlighting and fake fish, etc, and put the G5 in the tank.

Re: Old iMac needs opinions - 02/21/08 03:12 PM

yeah the only problem is extending the cables, the rest i can do really

but any technical help would be amazing

will document with pics etc
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re: Old iMac needs opinions - 02/21/08 04:21 PM

maybe this will help...

http://pinouts.ru/Video/applevideo_14p_pinout.shtml
Posted by: soundmann18

Re: Old iMac needs opinions - 02/22/08 07:56 AM

Originally Posted By: "BigO"
Originally Posted By: "moorah"
extend the connections from the screen, hard drive and disk drive (to be kept in the White iMac Case) while submerging the motherboard in mineral oil and removing the fans

You know what would be sweet? There have been several mac fishtank mods, you could take one of those and fill it up with mineral oil with some backlighting and fake fish, etc, and put the G5 in the tank.

Or, genetically alter some fish to be able to survive in mineral oil!!!
Posted by: BigO

Re: Old iMac needs opinions - 02/22/08 08:01 AM

Originally Posted By: "soundmann18"

Fish modding! Someone had better go register http://www.fishmod.com
Posted by: whitlock

Re: Old iMac needs opinions - 02/22/08 08:12 AM

Originally Posted By: "BigO"
Originally Posted By: "soundmann18"

Fish modding! Someone had better go register http://www.fishmod.com

Then I'd have to register fshimod.com... >:D

Re: Old iMac needs opinions - 03/28/08 09:49 AM

Ok so i got my case pricing 28 not bad! + 100 for my oil

Next i need some help extending wires... will any old wiring do with solder iron to extend or do i need some specific wires

Just the screen and the HD wires being extended
Posted by: TonimusMaximus

Re: Old iMac needs opinions - 03/28/08 12:36 PM

You can purchase longer HD, USB, Firewire, and I think Optical drive extensions. All you'd have to do is lengthen the display cable(s). I would recommend using coated wrapping wire http://www.radioshack.com/sm-50-ft-red-insulated-wrapping-wire--pi-2062640.html or something similar because it's so easy to use. It'd be more work, but if you cut the wire in the middle and extended it there, you could retain the factory plug at the end.
Posted by: 987687

Re: Old iMac needs opinions - 03/29/08 05:05 AM

It would be really sweet to get some fish that live in mineral oil too...

Re: Old iMac needs opinions - 03/30/08 05:29 AM

Alright ive got my case, and my wire just need to get myself a solder gun and im ready to start and document this process
Posted by: ctan

Re: Old iMac needs opinions - 03/30/08 07:01 AM

So, did it work? Submit it as some news and I'll post it as a featured mod.