Eeepc

Posted by: gthicjohn

Eeepc - 02/17/08 12:16 PM

I just ordered one and it should be in the mail. I cant mod it yet till I get done with my Jr. year because im useing it for school and during school.

Does anyone know how diffrent it is from other linux distros?

I know its based off ubuntu which is based off some other oringinal distro and im quite familiar with that.

Does anyone know where I can buy an extra battery becuase I need one of those for a trip im going on?

I did see Leopard get put on an Eeepc (video not in person) but i dont have the money for it at the moment.

Thanks
Posted by: 987687

Re: Eeepc - 02/17/08 03:34 PM

I was looking at the Eeepc, it draws me not having to pay for M$ as I install linux on my boxes anyway. I might get one once the screens get better, I dunno, I am pretty happy with my thinkpad and my iBook, between mac and linux I can do anything.
Posted by: BigO

Re: Eeepc - 02/17/08 09:49 PM

Ubuntu is a derivative of Debian. I like Debian because it's one of the few Linux distros to have a version for m68k, which has allowed our family to install it on an old Mac SE/30 and use it as a web server. It's still in service today, although the thing takes forEVER to boot smile
Posted by: ~Antonio

Re: Eeepc - 02/17/08 11:29 PM

We have two EEPCs at work. The SysAdmin has one and the other belongs to the Director of Technology, who has already modded his to the nth degree with bluetooth, a USB hub, flash drive, etc. I believe he's also added GPS.
BTW, he's mentioned, several times, that it's the best $300 he's ever spent.
Posted by: BigO

Re: Eeepc - 02/17/08 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: "~Antonio"

How does it stack up against the OLPC?

Re: Eeepc - 02/18/08 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: "BigO"
Originally Posted By: "~Antonio"

How does it stack up against the OLPC?

Haha ;D

Well the EEPC has faster hardware all-around, with a better processor (900mhz vs 433mhz) more RAM, and the like, so it's sort of a wash, performance-wise.
But, I can't really compare the two directly, as the OLPC is targeted specifically for the educational markets of developing, 3rd-world countries -and for the younger students, at that. With it's membrane keyboard it's a bit more kid-proof, although both machines seem plenty durable.

I know Asus shows a snapshot of kindergarten-aged kids on the EEPC, but I don't think I'd plunk an EEPC down in front of a couple of six-year-olds. I think it really is better suited to the SysAdmin, especially one who regularly works with headless rack-mounted systems.
I'd rather put kids on a 10-12 inch Windows or MacOS machine loaded with games and educational software... kids tend to lean toward big and colorful. The EEPC's seven-inch screen probably isn't going to hold their attention for very long, and neither is stripped-down Linux.
Of course, screen real-estate mentioned, both machines would lose with my imaginary kids. However, if I had kids, I'd put them on the OLPC before an EEPC. The OLPC would at least stand up to the abuse a kid at six could possibly put it through.
More likely than either, though, I'd put them on a 12-inch iBook G3.

Re: Eeepc - 02/18/08 01:22 PM

Mine will be a 4G surf so I dont have the luxury of a camera T_T
Posted by: 987687

Re: Eeepc - 02/18/08 01:44 PM

here are some EeePC vs OLPC sites that I found interesting

http://johnbiehler.com/category/olpc/

http://laptopmag.com/Features/OLPC-XO-vs-Asus-Eee-PC-701.htm?page=0

This one has a macbook in there too
http://toni.schneidersf.com/2007/12/26/olpc-versus-eeepc/

Re: Eeepc - 02/18/08 05:06 PM

Yeah, I'm really hating the comparisons, though. I don't really think they're competing products. The OLPC is in WAY too specific a market for a direct comparison to the EeePC.

Re: Eeepc - 02/18/08 05:23 PM

They need to compare a cloudbook,eeepc or those new compact sony and other laptops im seeing at bestbuys.

Does anyone know where i can pic up and extra battery for my eeepc.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: Eeepc - 12/30/08 10:35 PM

I prefer a Acer Aspire One, Same mods for the eeePC but looks sleeker.
Posted by: krusher117

Re: Eeepc - 12/30/08 11:16 PM

OLPC vs eeePC is definitely apple to oranges.