One mans trash...

Posted by: anil8tor

One mans trash... - 09/15/07 05:18 AM

My wife comes home from work the other day, (shes a teacher) and says" I have a junk Mac they where throwing away at work. I tossed it in the back seat."

So I go get retrieve the poor thing from an undignified position now on the floor. I bring it into the house.

I look it over and its the cleanest, best looking Quicksilver I have ever seen. It not scratched or smudged  anywhere!

So I open it up and its just as clean inside. I hook it up and get a good chime, then the folder icon.

I grab the hard drive out of my Blue&White and plug it in. Boots to 10.4 no problem!

Its an 867 mhz with one 512 stick of ram! AND THEY WHERE TOSSING IT IN THE TRASH!

Made my day. ;D
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: One mans trash... - 09/15/07 06:26 AM

Lucky SOB lol. Last time I found a quick silver in the trash the owner took a hammer to all of the parts.
Posted by: Krow

Re: One mans trash... - 09/15/07 08:41 AM

Great story !

I just got a QS 800MHz G4 in the same brand new condition last week. I cannibalized my B&W for some parts and it's up and running. I didn't find mine in the trash though, I traded a Lombard for it.
Posted by: zib_redlektab

Re: One mans trash... - 09/15/07 07:30 PM

I found a working SE/30 with 7.5 installed in a neighbor's trash...i'd rather find a quicksilver tho, i don't feel right taking apart a working-condition antique :-
Posted by: mordaskyt

Re: One mans trash... - 09/15/07 07:42 PM

I found a dual 1ghz Quicksilver on trash day myself. Sweet! Playing Island Mini Golf on it as we speak!
Posted by: dead13

Re: One mans trash... - 09/16/07 10:23 AM

i never find any macs in the trash but i have a buttload of p4 pc's i find at least one a week
Posted by: gthicjohn

Re: One mans trash... - 09/16/07 12:43 PM

This kid I know canabalized a Original G3 Clamshell took the keyboard,airport card,ram and ac Adapter He was gonna trow it away but I asked to have it and he gave it to me so im gonna restore it. TEE HEE YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAY
Posted by: zenstate

Re: One mans trash... - 09/16/07 03:25 PM

Great score man!  What are your plans for it?
Posted by: Protocol6v

Re: One mans trash... - 09/17/07 01:28 PM

I got a 733MHz QS from the dumpster, it had dead firewire, but a PRAM Reset took care of it!
Posted by: whitlock

Re: One mans trash... - 09/18/07 10:27 AM

I have yet to be so fortunate.  I turned down a couple B&W's that were near the curb.  It was a heroin dealers house, so I couldn't really figure what kind of trouble I could have ended up in.

In other news, that guy is moving.  Hurray!
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: One mans trash... - 09/18/07 02:14 PM

I guess you could have knocked on his door and asked him.

wink

Re: One mans trash... - 09/23/07 04:47 AM

My wife found this nice 15" studio display on fleabay for 50 bucks. (isn't she special?) So now its in the spare bedroom full of all the scuzzy drives I could find, and with a flatbed scanner attached that I use sometimes. 

I work on one of my hobbies in that room, so its available for research and background music.

So, its a network storage, scanning, research-entertainment server!

Re: One mans trash... - 09/23/07 07:29 AM

Originally Posted By: "anil8tor "

My wife found this nice 15" studio display on fleabay for 50 bucks. (isn't she special?) So now its in the spare bedroom full of all the scuzzy drives I could find, and with a flatbed scanner attached that I use sometimes. 

I work on one of my hobbies in that room, so its available for research and background music.

So, its a network storage, scanning, research-entertainment server!

Yes but it won't be a truly multi-purpose geek system till it has a built in coffee maker.  Does Braun or Black&Decker make one that is Quicksilver compatible?  HAHA

Re: One mans trash... - 09/24/07 02:04 PM

Krups...

I am pretty sure Krups does.
[img]http://www.macmod.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2861.0;attach=687[/img]
Posted by: gthicjohn

Re: One mans trash... - 09/26/07 02:04 PM

Today I went out with my dad looking for a broken clamshell at thrift stores i could scavenge but i came across this HP Pavillion 735n for $45 512MB mem 80GB HD 2.133GHz cpu DVDRW with CD-R i bought it brought it home aparently the person didnt know how to do a system restore.

W00T ANOTHER COMPUTER IN MY ROOM OF COMPUTERNESS!!!

Re: One mans trash... - 09/28/07 04:47 PM

Great! Not a Mac, but a good deal at any rate!
Posted by: Antonio

Re: One mans trash... - 10/13/07 06:41 PM

I think I just passed everyone by today... :P

My friend just gave me his 15" aluminum PowerBook. IIRC, it's a 1.5Ghz model.
The only thing wrong with it is the trackpad, which he busted while tinkering. I'm cleaning the case off now, with alcohol, as it's pretty messy... I'm surprised there aren't many scratches, but I don't think it left his house too often.
Then I'm going to open it up, plug the cable back in to the logic board, power on and use my Graphire 3.

Hell, I think I'll run Kubuntu and WINE on my MacBook, and OS X on the new (to me!) PowerBook.                 

He wouldn't sell it to me, said he didn't want to go through the trouble of having it repaired, so he just gave it to me. I wish that would happen more often smile

Re: One mans trash... - 10/13/07 07:48 PM

Well! I just finished reassembling the PowerBook.. It is, indeed, a 1.5Ghz model, and works perfectly now, trackpad and all.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: One mans trash... - 10/14/07 06:07 AM

I was given a 1.25 Alu 15" PB the other day. The screen was bust (not cracked) and lots of dents in it. I replaced most of the lid and now the only thing wrong with it is a slight dent near the power jack. Its fully loaded too, backlit keyboard, superdrive, 80GB HD and 2GB of Kingston RAM.
And my boss gave me an ex-rental 20" ADC flat panel display.
I love free stuff.

Re: One mans trash... - 10/14/07 06:28 AM

I was offered a free HP P4 2.8GHz tower at work last thursday and passed.  It just needed a new HD and had 512mb ram but I would have little to no need for it. 

Why can't I get offered free macs?  :( 
Posted by: 987687

Re: One mans trash... - 10/14/07 08:47 AM

I pulled a 17" dell monitor with DVI and VGA out of the dump, and a 20" lcd TV with a power issue. But I fixed it and its a great monitor with HDMI or VGA. I found a linksys router that did not work, but I installed linux on it and its been really stable, up for 46 days. I have found good scanners, printers, hard drives, the list goes on. I guess I am a garbage picker...

Re: One mans trash... - 10/14/07 10:13 AM

Originally Posted By: "Waragainstsleep "

I was given a 1.25 Alu 15" PB the other day. The screen was bust (not cracked) and lots of dents in it. I replaced most of the lid and now the only thing wrong with it is a slight dent near the power jack. Its fully loaded too, backlit keyboard, superdrive, 80GB HD and 2GB of Kingston RAM.
And my boss gave me an ex-rental 20" ADC flat panel display.
I love free stuff.

Yeah, mine has the 5400 rpm 80Gb, too, as well as the backlit keyboard, which I'm fairly nonplussed about. I thought I'd be more impressed with it.

Now that I have both a MacBook and  this 1.5Ghz PowerBook, I'm wondering if I shouldn't sell both and buy a 15" MacBook Pro, or just find a local shop which would make a trade.

Anyone with any arguments for why I should or shouldn't make such an exchange?
I'm completely on the fence at the moment.
Posted by: Cincytsi

Re: One mans trash... - 12/12/09 08:50 PM

thats a good find man. have fun modding that thing, I had the same machine a couple years back..really expandable and looks great cosmetically.
Posted by: johnodd44

Re: One mans trash... - 01/11/10 11:54 PM

It is so surprising what people will throw away.

i have three mac's now because of that.

a g4 800 mhz imac (a.k.a the ilamp)

A emac g4 800 mhz

a g4 tower 400 mhz

all rescued from recyclers or dump bin's
Posted by: johnodd44

Re: One mans trash... - 01/27/11 01:58 AM

i recently rescued a g5 xserve from the trash.

powerpc g5 2.0 ghz

4 gigs of ram

needed a graphics card

how messed up is that a graphics card are you freaking kidding me i got like 5 mac graphics cards