I just bought a B&W

Posted by: Speedmike

I just bought a B&W - 08/20/07 04:23 AM

Hey all, I just got a B&W. I like how they look and so that is what I got. Anyways, I am going to be upgrading it, and I am wondering about video cards. I looked on ebay, and I can get an ATI Radeon 7000 with 64 mb for 40 bucks. The ATI Radeon 9600 with 128 MB is about double that at 85 bucks. My question is this, what is the fastest video card I can put in the PCI slot before the PCI slot slows it down? If that makes sense?
Thanks for your help!
Posted by: zenstate

Re: I just bought a B&W - 08/20/07 06:13 AM

Hey Speedmike.  Welcome to macmod!

The fastest PCI vid card for mac these days is the Radeon 9200 128MB.  Here are a few on ebay: http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll...;amp;category0=

The radeon 7000 is almost as good though so it all depends on what you need.  The B&W's use a 66mhz PCI slot for graphics which is essentially AGP 1x so even if you could get a better card it would be wasted only being able to feed through a 66mhz bus.

Re: I just bought a B&W - 08/20/07 06:16 AM

Forgot to add..  I have a B&W also with a G4 600MHz upgrade.  Very decent machine and with the upgrade would be a fine system for everyday computing.

I use mine as a bit torrent machine.  Mine has a radeon 7000 32mb BTW..  I also have quartz extreme enabled through a hack called PCI extreme.

Re: I just bought a B&W - 08/20/07 08:41 PM

Thanks for the reply! I have to see how much PC 100 ram I can find before I decide on which card to get. I'm going to shoot for the 9600 but We'll see if the budget allows.

Re: I just bought a B&W - 08/20/07 09:04 PM

I have never heard of a Radeon 9600 PCI.  Even if there really is one a GPU like that would be wasted on a 66mhz bus.  Even the 9200 will be wasted on a bus like that.

The 7000 is a good card for these machines.  Cheap, easy to find and you won't be wasting money on gpu power that the graphics bus will not be able to utilize. 

Re: I just bought a B&W - 08/20/07 09:32 PM

Yes I meant the 9200. smile I was just thinking that I wrote the wrong number when I was looking ebay. I must have misread the pci-express, I know totally different slot. So, between the 64 mb versions of the 7000 and the 9200 do you think there is much of a difference?

Thanks for your opinion!

Re: I just bought a B&W - 08/20/07 10:30 PM

I answered my own question. After reading this:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5158633
I found out that I'm probably looking at PC cards that were flashed to Mac. I rather buy something that was made for mac and so I am going to go with the 7000.

Thanks a lot zenstate!
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: I just bought a B&W - 08/21/07 12:01 AM

There was a 9200 made for Mac, but you are correct, alot of the  ones on eBay are flashed ones.

Re: I just bought a B&W - 08/21/07 05:32 AM

Originally Posted By: "Speedmike "

I answered my own question. After reading this:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5158633
I found out that I'm probably looking at PC cards that were flashed to Mac. I rather buy something that was made for mac and so I am going to go with the 7000.

Thanks a lot zenstate!

As that Apple discussion says its very important to have at least 64MB these days.  When I used to have a G4 mac mini with only a 9200 32MB I ran it with a 20" widescreen (1680x1050) and sometimes when I would put video in full screen mode the screen just went black.  This was because there simply wasn't enough vram to drive that high a resolution.

As long as you get a 7000 with 64MB you're golden for running any screen at any resolution.
Posted by: Krow

Re: I just bought a B&W - 09/13/07 07:30 AM

You have three decent options for the B&W G3.

1. Mac Edition Radeon 32MB - better than the 7000 Radeon

2. Radeon 7000 Mac Edition 32MB - Works ok

3. Radeon 9200 PCI Mac Edition 128MB - best you can get but is it worth the money ?

I have B&W's with both the original Radeon and the 9200. There is not much difference in average computing. The 9200 is better at gaming obviously but the 32MB Radeon will do the about anything else just fine.

The 9200 PCI Radeon was designed for the B&W so it does not suffer from lack of PCI speeds or anything like that in the 66MHZ video slot.

All of the 64MB Radeon cards are PC cards flashed with Mac ROMs and I would avoid them.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: I just bought a B&W - 09/13/07 11:58 AM

I reckon the 9200 is not an unreasonable investment. Unless you intend to eventually replace the Smurf with a late G5 or a Mac Pro, you can still put it to good use as a second card in anything up to an early 05 G5.
Posted by: Krow

Re: I just bought a B&W - 09/15/07 08:36 AM

Originally Posted By: "Waragainstsleep "

I reckon the 9200 is not an unreasonable investment. Unless you intend to eventually replace the Smurf with a late G5 or a Mac Pro, you can still put it to good use as a second card in anything up to an early 05 G5.

I bought a 9200 for the exact reason you mention. And I'm not one to spend more money than needed (cheap) but I planned on using the PCI 9200 in as many future machines as possible. The 9200 is currently in the GF's B&W and my G4 has a 32MB original Radeon Mac Edition running my second monitor. I never owned the 7000 version of the card but all the reviews I read gave the original Radeon 32MB card a better rating than the later 7000 series 32MB Radeon.

I could swap the 32MB card with the 9200 and she probably wouldn't even notice but I have the OEM 32MB AGP card in my Quicksilver and adding a 128MB PCI card for the second monitor seemed kinda backwards. I do plan on upgrading the AGP card to a 9800 Pro someday (when they get cheaper), then I'll put the PCI 9200 in the G4 then but it serves a better purpose in the B&W right now.

I honestly don't see much difference in my 32MB card and the 128MB card, but I have to admit I haven't really used the B&W with the 9200 card a lot so my comparison is pretty limited. I had the Mac Edition 32MB card in my last B&W (OS 10.3) and it worked well. No complaints at all.

Re: I just bought a B&W - 09/16/07 05:29 AM

I ended up getting the Radeon 9200. I can't complain about it at all. In OS 9 UT runs real smooth. It get better frame rates than my AMD 64 laptop, which has an ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 64 mb video card. It doesn't run as fast as my wife's ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 128mb, which is intergated onto the board of her eMachines. Of course, I am comparing it to two windows machines, but in the same game the FPS are about in the middle of the two. I don't know how else to compare the performance of the Radeon 9200 PCI. Maybe I can get some actual FPS numbers, with  the same settings, up later today after work.

In OSX 10.3.9 all the menus and everything runs smoothly. I have some trouble playing certain videos , but I suspect that is a CPU problem since I have a 1 GHZ G3 in there instead of a G4. I think VLC likes the G4 better. Heck, as long as Youtube works I am happy. I couldn't for the life of me get my Pismo to play any Youtube videos. I don't have a DVD drive on my B&W so I don't know how DVD playback is, but I assume it is good, since it can play most movie files just fine.

I am so happy with this B&W! My windows laptop's USB Ports were starting to go and This has been the perfect replacement for most things.

Re: I just bought a B&W - 09/16/07 05:57 AM

Glad to hear things went well with your upgrades speedmike!

One thing you can do to improve playback of video is use mplayer and activate a feature in preferences called "slow frame rates on slower machines".  Although it does lower the framerate it makes playback a lot smoother.  Back in 2003 the only mac I had was a B&W 350mhz and it was able to play high quality avi in a very tolerable way.  So with mplayer and that feature enabled on a G3 1ghz you'll be golden.

Re: I just bought a B&W - 11/20/07 04:47 PM

I have what maybe a silly question. I have 2 Dual Hard Drive Trays in my B&W, and my question is, why is the top of the dual tray not lined up with the bottom? If I put a normal 3.5 HDD in the top slot, then I would only be able to screw in two of the screws on one side of the HDD. Is there a reason that it is offset like this? Both of my dual Hard Drive trays are like this, and I was just curious about it.

Re: I just bought a B&W - 11/25/07 04:04 PM

Disregard my last post... the one side bends over really easily. ::)