WoW crashes with a kernel panic

Posted by: mrlion

WoW crashes with a kernel panic - 05/14/07 09:43 AM

I started to play World of Warcraft (comments to yourself, please) and I have this PowerMac G4 MDD 1.25 ghz single CPU with a Radeon 9000 64 MB, it runs well enough, slows down like in some heavy parts and it struggles with Stormwind but it runs nonetheless, however lately I've been getting these nasty kernel panics.  I get a kernel panic when its on heavy load, ok I understand there, but it also gives me a kernel panic if I go window mode, if its on window mode but I'm idle, when its fullscreen when I idle.  I restart the computer and launch the game again but after 5 minutes it gives me another one.

Anyone know what is going on here?  Of course the absolute solution is to get a better card, but what i I get a new card and gives me the same problem. Thanks.
Posted by: Kisin

Re: WoW crashes with a kernel panic - 05/14/07 11:30 AM

use temp monitor or istat to keep an eye on internal temps, maybe your processor is overheating
Posted by: GuitarMknDude

Re: WoW crashes with a kernel panic - 05/14/07 03:02 PM

I would agree with kisin about heat, but it also worries me that yours is only a single 1.25 and shouldn't have any real heat problems. The first thing I would do is use your hardware test CD first and see if that comes up with anything. The other thing I would check is your memory by removing all but one and test each time u add one.
Posted by: mrlion

Re: WoW crashes with a kernel panic - 05/14/07 04:06 PM

I checked it and after playing for an hour having Safari (for thottbot) and Adium open as well I got 43.7 C  I even went into heavy load to Stormwind and Thunder Bluff and I got around that same temp.
Posted by: Kisin

Re: WoW crashes with a kernel panic - 05/14/07 09:34 PM

try dude's suggestions, if everything is fine try booting from a different HDD
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: WoW crashes with a kernel panic - 05/14/07 11:57 PM

Fire up Console and see if it has anything useful to tell you.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: WoW crashes with a kernel panic - 05/15/07 04:31 PM

It's the video card. Also how much memory does the system have?
Posted by: waamatt

Re: WoW crashes with a kernel panic - 07/06/07 08:40 AM

I've been WoW crash pretty much constantly on me, but then... See my thread in the Hardware mods section about how I'm going to just revert my machine back to stock speeds. Too many variables for my problem - best if I cut out as many as possible.