Something cool to do with my iMac G3 DV 400mhz?

Posted by: wyclef

Something cool to do with my iMac G3 DV 400mhz? - 05/06/07 06:59 AM

any ideas? NO AQUARIUM PLEASE...fish suck, all they do is get sick and die. kewl ideas please. i've got a couple mac classics too, maybe there is some combo thing that could be done? i don't know. anyone know if there will be a way to mod leapord to run on a g3? it;s pretty lame that apple decided to drop support for the g3 when tiger runs fine on my 400mhz. can't even imagine how turbo it would run on an 800mhz g3.
Posted by: maestro

Re: Something cool to do with my iMac G3 DV 400mhz? - 05/06/07 08:07 AM

I say get a G4 upgrade for it and run Folding@Home!  Make sure you load it with 222 timed ram to the max!  A newer hard drive will make it faster too.

If all else fails, donate it to someone who cant afford a computer.  smile
Posted by: whitlock

Re: Something cool to do with my iMac G3 DV 400mhz? - 05/06/07 05:31 PM

Rewire a Mac classic to work inside the chassis of a G3 iMac (with working display).  That's all I can think of when it comes to dual projects like that. 

As for Leopard, unless there is a way for it to work with G3 class processors, you may have to get that machine upgraded. 
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Something cool to do with my iMac G3 DV 400mhz? - 05/07/07 08:19 AM

XPostFacto should get Leopard running on G3s. I don't think it will be much different to Tiger, except all the extra Quartz stuff. And that won't work on old G3s anyway. Might have to give it a while before XPF gets updated though.