iMac G3 and Clamshell iBook with 10.4?

Posted by: zib_redlektab

iMac G3 and Clamshell iBook with 10.4? - 04/18/07 12:42 PM

I'm getting a white iMac G3 and a clamshell iBook (no idea what the specs are beyond that) from my grandparents, and both of them have completely wiped hard drives. I can install linux on them (I think), but I'd much rather have OSX. I only have my 10.4 restore discs from my mpb, would it be possible to use them on the G3's?
Posted by: mordaskyt

Re: iMac G3 and Clamshell iBook with 10.4? - 04/18/07 12:52 PM

No, the disks that come with a mac have always been model specific, only installing on identical or at least very similar models, That and the disks you have are for intel as well makes it even harder. Both those machines will run osx fine, though they will benefit from lots of ram. 10.4 requires a built in firewire port and (usually) a dvd drive so it may not like the clamshell, depending on its specs. You may want to look for a 10.3 installer disk on ebay, prob dirt cheap and will run great on those machines.
Posted by: zib_redlektab

Re: iMac G3 and Clamshell iBook with 10.4? - 04/18/07 01:54 PM

did 10.3 have frontrow?
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: iMac G3 and Clamshell iBook with 10.4? - 04/19/07 04:17 AM

10.4 was the first to support FR. Get Fedora or Slackware for the macs. If you really want tiger then look around on ebay for a restore disk that will work for those systems.