Slave computer

Posted by: wisdom_105

Slave computer - 09/14/06 03:40 PM

hi i am here to ask if its worth me geting a slave computer , see the problem is that sometimes when i do video editing or encode movies it takes a long time for my computer complete the task  and i want to use it but can't because of the cpu useage on my imac g5 so is it worth me geting a computer and making that do all my rendering and video encoding work or can't u make another computer do the tasks?

say if i wanted to render the finished film in final cut pro 4.5 and i just saved the project would i be able to open the same file on say something like a g3 imac or powermac and have that do my rendering so i can continue to suft the internet and chat to my mates and listen to music on my imac g5 ?>

or would it take forever for the g3 to render it? or encode it?

say if the project was 20 mins long?

sorry if the question ain't clearist but its best way i could explain?

thanks for ur time

rob
Posted by: mordaskyt

Re: Slave computer - 09/14/06 06:05 PM

Not a bad idea but the roles should be reversed. The faster processor (G5) should be doing the rendering. The surfing, music and chat can be done on the second, slower machine. Get an older ibook or powerbook like my favorite, the Pismo and use that for your secondary tasks.
Posted by: macDeviant

Re: Slave computer - 09/15/06 02:32 PM

pwesonally that is want i do. i use FCP 5 on my powerbook and quad. and while they are rendering i have my B&W there for casual usage, and internet stuff. frees up CPU usage on the powerbook a ton, and i'm not left without a computer to goof around on.

besides trying to encode video on a g3 would be HORRENDOUSLY slow. *sudders at the thought*

macDeviant
Posted by: maestro

Re: Slave computer - 09/15/06 02:51 PM

I too find this issue daily.  As hard as it seems, the larger, faster computer should be doing the heavy lifting.  Save the older macs to do your daily duties.  Buying an expensive Mac Pro just for video or calculation work and then using lets say a G4 to use for everything else is tough to do.  I would want to use the Pro for everything.  Its not our old macs that should be taking server, encoding work, its the new ones, lol.  The best scenario seems to be a workstation for big jobs and a laptop for normal uses.  In the end, having another Mac to work on while another is busy is the way to go, no matter what you can afford.