Buy Digital Audio G4

Posted by: kickassimacg5

Buy Digital Audio G4 - 08/23/06 10:30 PM

Is it worth it to buy this http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...A%3AIT&rd=1?  I want a system to use with a TV tuner as well as for video editing/music storage. Is a 466 PM DA good enough? Is it also possible to just use a DVD burner for a PC on it as it only has a CD burner and I want to put tiger on it (it has os9.2)?
Posted by: riscx

Re: Buy Digital Audio G4 - 08/24/06 12:51 PM

If I had the extra money I would buy this in a heartbeat, pretty good price if all is ok with it.

The DA G4 is very versitile little machine, can run OS 9 and 10 natively. I have preview OS running on it very nicely at 533MHz.

I would upgrade the RAM to a Gig and maybe even get a better video card and even through a 250GB IDE drive in it with a super drive too! BTW if you are near BogusBuy, er, Bestbuy you can pick up a Phillips Superdrive for $39, NEW!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?...d=1140392418231

True plug and play, I just put one in my BlueIce and it rocks!

Later if you need to you can even bump up the processor/CPU to upwards of 1.4GHz.

Good luck!

Re: Buy Digital Audio G4 - 08/24/06 03:00 PM

That's a great deal for a superdrive but they don't have Best Buy here in Australia. The cheapest price here is A$55 which is about US$41. One more question, Can I use any TV tuner card or do I have to use an EyeTV?
Posted by: zenstate

Re: Buy Digital Audio G4 - 08/25/06 03:36 PM

I would buy it if I needed one.

The DA G4 has agp 4x and a 133mhx bus vs AGP 2x and 100mhz bus on older G4's so its a more capable and upgradable machine.  Almost all good AGP vid cards now need 4x minimum.

Re: Buy Digital Audio G4 - 08/26/06 03:59 AM

Is it also possible to put in a QS/MDD CPU and a GeForce 6600GT and any random TV tuner on the mobo? I just want to know because I want to mod it to match my green & white iSkinned iPod that will display TV, give me the resources to make and edit films and to play music off the hard drive and my iPod if anyone wanted to know why I'm asking these questions.
Posted by: zenstate

Re: Buy Digital Audio G4 - 08/26/06 10:28 AM

Originally Posted By: "kickassimacg5 "

Is it also possible to put in a QS/MDD CPU and a GeForce 6600GT and any random TV tuner on the mobo? I just want to know because I want to mod it to match my green & white iSkinned iPod that will display TV, give me the resources to make and edit films and to play music off the hard drive and my iPod if anyone wanted to know why I'm asking these questions.

CPU - I have heard of people using quicksilver 733mhz cpu's in DA's but not MDD cpu's.

TV Tuner - You need a mac specific Tv tuner if you want pci.  if you add a usb 2 pci card (and with these you can use the most generic and they will work fine) you will have more choices with external tuners.

Video card - any mac specific agp video card will work in the DA's 4x slot.

Re: Buy Digital Audio G4 - 09/07/06 06:49 PM

I didn't end up buying the DA but I'm getting an iMac 233 from work so I might mod it up