MDD Big Plans Progress Report

Posted by: waamatt

MDD Big Plans Progress Report - 04/11/06 08:19 PM

So, I still haven't done my OCing (or ordered fans - something I need to do more research on to find the "right" ones)... But, in addition to the hard drive I added right when I got the computer, I just installed 2GB of PC2700 DDR RAM (Crucial brand). It's CL 2.5, 64x64, Non-ECL, Unbuffered, 184-pin.

What I find VERY interesting is that the System Profiler shows the speed as PC2600-25330. NOT PC2100, which is the stock RAM's speed. So, without even OCing, I'm getting more bang for my buck.

All 2GB after shipping cost me $150 and change.

I haven't actually tried using any apps, but first boot after install was slow (as I expected), and everything is running A-OK. Time to try Photoshop, iTunes, World of Warcraft, user switching, and some other things and see how it all goes.

Next step: Fans and overclocking. (After that? Graphics card.)
Posted by: destructospin

MDD Big Plans Progress Report - 04/12/06 12:31 AM

honestly, get some better ram
something with tighter timings
makes all the difference

MDD Big Plans Progress Report - 04/12/06 12:44 AM

... Well... I would have... My budget is pretty limited, and the CAS2 RAM was like an extra $20 a stick, so... $80 vs. minimal performance gain? I'll keep my $80.
Posted by: shadowboxer47

MDD Big Plans Progress Report - 04/12/06 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: "waamatt"
... Well... I would have... My budget is pretty limited, and the CAS2 RAM was like an extra $20 a stick, so... $80 vs. minimal performance gain? I'll keep my $80.

Hey, do what you can. You're better for it. I for one have a hard time upgrading any computer without going "all the way"--sometimes to points of idiocy. More power to you!
Posted by: maestro

MDD Big Plans Progress Report - 04/12/06 07:57 PM

There are two ways to do everything. You can buy more for less or my less for more. I would buy less, faster memory personally, but different strokes. You will get more of a performance boost from the oc anyway. Go for it! I have a drinky before hand to keep my hands steady....just a tip for ya.
Posted by: whitlock

MDD Big Plans Progress Report - 04/12/06 08:11 PM

PC2700 is the way to go since G4 processors cannot process RAM any faster. On a whim, due to the Mac mini's (original) supporting PC3200 I called Apple to confirm this. Was not too sure if they came out with some miracle tweak to the processor. Mind you, this was the first day everyone got their mini's so there was no documentation.

Anything faster than PC2700 is wasting cash. Max out since it's cheap enough now.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

MDD Big Plans Progress Report - 04/13/06 10:38 AM

Apple just throw 3200 in the Minis because they were already buying piles of the stuff to go in G5s. Its all about the volume. 2700 would probably have cost them more.

MDD Big Plans Progress Report - 04/14/06 02:34 PM

I agree with Waragainstsleep on the use of 3200 in the first minis. A similar reason is probably behind the use of PC2100 in the original MDDs even though the 133MHz bus will handle up to PC2600 just fine.

One question before I order a copper heatsink: It'll work in ALL dual processor MDDs right? I don't want to spend $65+S&H and then have to deal with returning the thing.

Notes on performance after 2GB of RAM installed: Wow, so little difference. The aforementioned user switching boost continues. Apps hardly seem different. World of Warcraft gets less frame rate stuttering from areas that previously would've resulted in lots of VM paging. It still happens, but it's so much more tolerable. Despite that, frame rates are not noticably higher. The real boost there will be from a faster CPU and better graphics card. Safari, Mail, Adium, iTunes - they all feel exactly the same. Eh, I'm still glad I maxed out my RAM. Maybe in a year I'll start replacing it with faster (lower latency) memory just 'cause...

MDD Big Plans Progress Report - 04/14/06 03:15 PM

I must say I have never heard of PC2600 RAM.
PC2100 runs at 266MHz, PC2700 runs 333MHz and PC3200 is 400MHz.
Its all DDR: Double the bus speed.

MDD Big Plans Progress Report - 04/17/06 11:50 AM

War, I believe you're right about the non-existance of PC2600. I'll check the one that was in my machine already that was showing up as 2600. But, for whatever reason, 2700 in a system with a 133MHz bus is showing up as 2600. (I guess that's the double data rate talking.)

MDD Big Plans Progress Report - 04/17/06 02:10 PM

I have a mixture in mine. It shows up as 2100 or 2700 as apprpriate. I imagine the RAM tells the Mac what type it is. Maybe whoever made yours made a spelling mistake smile

MDD Big Plans Progress Report - 04/18/06 10:46 PM

That shouldn't be the case. I haven't upped my system bus to 167MHz yet. So, as far as I can tell, 2600 is the max the 133MHz bus will recognize. But, if it still says 2600 after the OC... I'd be SOL unless I do it soon enough where I can return this RAM. If that really is the case, I might just give in and spend the extra on lower latency RAM... Which probably won't even make a difference. : )

MDD Big Plans Progress Report - 04/18/06 11:18 PM

Mine registers PC2700 in the system profile. Its also on a 133MHz bus. I thought we'd established that 2600 doesn;t exist, and that 2100 is the fastest RAM will run on a 133MHz bus.
Having said that, most of the RAM I have showing up as 2700, is actually 3200, though of course its all running at 2100 speeds.......

MDD Big Plans Progress Report - 04/19/06 08:39 PM

I get that 2600 doesn't exist. : )

Well, I guess I better got on this OCing project before the time limit for returning my RAM expires. Haha. There could potentially be other factors for why one type of RAM would show up as another in System Profiler. This is something I'll look into... Eventually. Curiosity is a powerful force, but it doesn't take precedence in all cases. Heh.