Booting from PCMCIA card

Posted by: supersonic

Booting from PCMCIA card - 10/16/05 08:20 PM

I see a lot of people who build PowerBook picture frames, who dispense
with the need for a hard drive and boot from a memory card.

Now, I'm assuming they have something like a 128mb camera memory card
in a PCMCIA module and boot from that? Is that what is meant?

I have a 128mb smartmedia card knocking around as a spare so is it just a
matter of installing some old System like 7.5.5 onto it and that the Mac
will pick it us as a harddrive and thats it???

Or am i missing somehing???

Post edited by: supersonc, at: 2005/10/17 03:21

Re:Booting from PCMCIA card - 10/16/05 08:42 PM

Sorry to bang on here, but if I need a PCMCIA module reader for
the Pbk 5300 i am modding, I guess something like this???

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/pcmcia-smartmedia-...1QQcmdZViewItem

...or do i need to be careful with different types of PCMCIA card or anything?

Cheers again y'all!

Steve
Posted by: maestro

Re:Booting from PCMCIA card - 10/17/05 01:07 AM

It should work. As long as it fits with the slot requirements on your book.
-maestro
Posted by: mordaskyt

Re:Booting from PCMCIA card - 10/17/05 04:37 AM

You could also get a 2.5" hard drive to Compact flash adaptor, It may be be cheaper that way, and it would leave the PCMCIA bus open for a wireless card
Posted by: maestro

Re:Booting from PCMCIA card - 10/17/05 04:55 AM

Good call mordasky, thats what I would do.
-maestro

Re:Booting from PCMCIA card - 10/17/05 05:34 AM

mordaskyt wrote:
Quote:
You could also get a 2.5" hard drive to Compact flash adaptor, It may be be cheaper that way, and it would leave the PCMCIA bus open for a wireless card

Ah-ha....Like this??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CF-Compactflash-to...1QQcmdZViewItem

Some ideas come to mind now..Pity iTunes wont run on a 5300 though, then I could
use a WiFi card in the PCMCIA slot and stream music through it...

Hmm...Looks like I need a Pbk G3 next as a media centre picture frame!!! hehehe!
Posted by: mordaskyt

Re:Booting from PCMCIA card - 10/17/05 07:51 AM

If your still building the picture frame (the 5300 is perfect for this) Use the Compact Flash adaptor instead of a Hard Drive (silent & less power), Pop an old wirless card in the PCMCIA slot, then share whatever folder your image display software is pulling from. Then you just log onto the shared folder and drop in whatever pictures you feel like looking at today. You can also intall remote desktop to make interfacing with and maintaining the picture frame easier. Artistcally, the nicer ones look as much like a real frame as possible, ie use a real frame and hide all the Tech. (but then the opposite, say an acrylic look w/ exposed electronics would also be cool) Have fun!
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re:Booting from PCMCIA card - 10/17/05 08:23 AM

Theres a device that lets you use a compactflash card as a HD. It works just by pluging it in your IDE controller. You can get them for desktops and laptops.
Posted by: usbcd36

Re:Booting from PCMCIA card - 10/17/05 08:28 AM

I've actually been thinking about modding my PB 2300c after installing some more RAM and a new display cable. One of the first orders of business would be to up the HD to something bigger (hoping for 2.5" SCSI because that leaves the IDE bus free for 2 devices), and I really want to add an external CD-ROM drive (a round IDE cable should make that easily possible. Final thing would be an IDE CF reader. Although a little inflexible (ie, turn off power before you insert card), it would be one of the best ideas I've ever had if it works.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:Booting from PCMCIA card - 10/17/05 06:36 PM

Your 5300 will run OS 9.1 and hence it will also run iTunes 2.....
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Booting from PCMCIA card - 10/17/05 07:37 PM

I do recall something about an issue w/ newer versions of PCMCIA cards with a PB 5300cs, and having to use 16-bit cards in the machine. Keep that in mind when you do anything w/ an older Power Book. If you wanted to do wireless and feed the data through a stream or a server, there are 16-bit wireless cards out there, but you will need to make sure they are compatable.

And for those curious, here is the iTunes 2 download link: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120073

FYI, for all of you vintage Apple users, the company does carry most of the older installs on it's site.