Sawtooth Ultra ATA

Posted by: Jias

Sawtooth Ultra ATA - 10/13/05 01:31 PM

So nothing on the primary hard drive bus (Ultra ATA) on my Sawtooth is mouting. All was fine earlier today, but then I swapped some hard drives.

I pulled the 10GB, 5400RPM drive it was booting from, after cloning it to a 20GB, 7200RPM drive. I set the jumpers on the 7200 to master, and attach it (and a 160GB drive for storage) and it doesn't boot.

Reseting firmware doesn't do anything, so I boot from an OS9 CD and tell it what drive to boot from, it's probably just a bit confused. No dice, drives don't mount. Drive Setup doesn't recognize them, nor does Disk Utility on an OSX install disc.

So I try moving them to the bus that the optical drive is on. It boots. Fine.

My question is how likely is it that my Ultra ATA bus is fried? I'd like to not have to put the hard disks on the same bus as the optical drive, but right now, that's the only bus working.

Anybody have any experience with this? Thoughts? Ideas? I'd really appreciate hearing them.
Posted by: maestro

Re:Sawtooth Ultra ATA - 10/13/05 02:36 PM

Try ditchin the 160gb drive. My guess is that is the problem. You may need an ata pci card.
That will let you use the full capacity of that drive also.
-maestro
Posted by: anil8tor

Re:Sawtooth Ultra ATA - 10/13/05 02:53 PM

Just for grins, try the optical drive on the other bus, this wiil rule out a bad bus then go with maestros sugestion.

Re:Sawtooth Ultra ATA - 10/13/05 04:35 PM

maestro wrote:
Quote:
Try ditchin the 160gb drive. My guess is that is the problem. You may need an ata pci card.
That will let you use the full capacity of that drive also.
-maestro

Yeah, I did that. It doesn't work whether the 160 drive is attatched or not. I'll try what anil8tor said this weekend sometime.

Thanks for the input.

Re:Sawtooth Ultra ATA - 10/16/05 04:34 AM

Man, I feel stupid. Turns out so long as I leave the jumpers on cable select, they work fine.

Still might think about the PCI card, so I'm not limited to the 130GB on it... I'm kind of broke right now, so I might not worry about it for the moment. I only paid $40 for it (huzzah for rebates), so I guess 130GB for $40 is a good deal. I'll probably wait until I have the $30-$40 for a decent PCI card, back up all the data on my external and reformat it so I can use all 160.

Speaking of, anyone have a reccomendation on a solid ATA PCI card? One bus is fine, but it's got more, that's okay, just means I have more room to expand later.
Posted by: maestro

Re:Sawtooth Ultra ATA - 10/16/05 05:41 AM

Glad to see its working for ya. To find an ata card that cheap you will need to scour ebay.
I got an ata 66 pci for 20 bucks. Most come with two buses and can run four drives. I would go with an ata133 for the best speed though.
-maestro