the dock- my soulution

Posted by: macDeviant

the dock- my soulution - 10/04/05 12:01 PM

I'm not sure if I should share such an idea, but I don't know if anyone else has done this.

My dock was insanely clutterd with colorful little icons. I don't like wading through folders looking for single application i don't use too often, but just often enough to justify cramming into my dock. I never used the folders/files protion of the dock either. That little line isn't there just to keep the trash bin from bitting the other applications. Since I never used this, I also never knew you could browse through folders via the left-click contextual menu.

This may take a little time to get used to but, instead of the mess. I have three programs that stay in my dock permanently: finder, word and final cut. I've placed the programs I use into six folders/categories: Utilities, Internet, MultiMedia, Games, Adobe CS2, and Macromedia. No more clicking through folders looking for that one program or utility. Also with the help of Photoshop and a great little program called Icon builder i made some custom icons for the folders.

Post edited by: macDeviant, at: 2005/10/04 19:03
Posted by: soundmann18

Re:the dock- my soulution - 10/04/05 12:25 PM

nice - i like it a lot, I suppose I'll start doing something like this myself
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:the dock- my soulution - 10/04/05 12:59 PM

That's a great idea. I'll definitely have to try it.
Posted by: Loophole

Re:the dock- my soulution - 10/04/05 04:23 PM

nice effort..... personally I like Dragthing as it allows me to make as many 'drawers' as I need for apps,docs, folders etc and it allows traversing folders too. Plus you can have as many 'Docks' as you want in any colour, style, etc.
Mine hide under my menu bar and only pop out when I mouse over them.

My Dock is only used for trash and switching/quitting apps.

just my opinion on ease of use.

Loophole

Re:the dock- my soulution - 10/04/05 05:16 PM

looked into dragthing. i knew of options like this before. but it's just another application running in the background.

Re:the dock- my soulution - 10/10/05 03:55 PM

Can you post the file for your internet icon? I'm working on implementing this myself

Thanks

Re:the dock- my soulution - 10/10/05 05:28 PM

sure... FYI i made it from the safari compass... just slightly different.. would you like the quicktime icon too?

Re:the dock- my soulution - 10/10/05 06:19 PM

i have been using this technique for about a week now. personaly opinion; it's the best thing since sliced butter. it's takes only a little effort to use that right click, but worth it.i took out word and put it into a folder. i have some 40 odd items in my folders.

deviant

Post edited by: macDeviant, at: 2005/10/11 01:22
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:the dock- my soulution - 10/10/05 06:54 PM

been using that section for quite a while now, and for the same reason you began your exploration. 

from left to right:

>photoshop>image ready>illustrator>whatever is open thats not in dock>http public folder>websites folder>clients folder>trash

It is all really handy

Re:the dock- my soulution - 10/10/05 08:08 PM

here is that icon you wanted, soundmann

Post edited by: macDeviant, at: 2005/10/11 03:09

Re:the dock- my soulution - 10/10/05 08:13 PM

macDeviant wrote:
Quote:
here is that icon you wanted, soundmannPost edited by: macDeviant, at: 2005/10/11 03:09
[file name=two_icons.zip size=27015]http://www.macmod.com/components/com_simpleboard/uploaded/files/two_icons.zip[/file]

Re:the dock- my soulution - 10/11/05 02:32 PM

So I ended up making my own, they aren't great, but they work. I had a lot of trouble with the icon building program, but not a bad first try, I'd say:

From left to right I've got Multimedia > Coding > Video/Photo Editing > Internet > Office Tools > System

Post edited by: soundmann18, at: 2005/10/11 21:34
Posted by: usbcd36

Re:the dock- my soulution - 10/11/05 02:53 PM

Soundmann18, if you send me those icons, I can trim down the masks a little (that's what's causing the extra white area). I'd love an icon challenge, haven't had a good one since I got Metroid Prime 2…

Edit: clarification needed…

Post edited by: usbcd36, at: 2005/10/11 21:54

Re:the dock- my soulution - 10/11/05 04:02 PM

Thanks a lot for the offer, any thing that you could do would be awesome.

[file name=Icons.zip size=77223]http://www.macmod.com/components/com_simpleboard/uploaded/files/Icons.zip[/file]

Edit: Let me know if you want the pictures in a different format, I can handle that.

Post edited by: soundmann18, at: 2005/10/11 23:06

Re:the dock- my soulution - 10/12/05 04:04 AM

hope you don't mind but i'm gonna play around with those icons too... laugh any excuse for me to use photoshop is a good excuse

deviant

Re:the dock- my soulution - 10/12/05 04:45 AM

Not at all - That's weird, cuz a couple of my friends use photoshop and they say the same things "just give me an excuse to use it." I'm gonna have to get it myself soon and figure it out.