Build Or Wait And See?

Posted by: JediJoker7169

Build Or Wait And See? - 09/30/05 05:12 PM

I am in a dilemma. I'm a Mac lover but I'm also a Windows gamer, and currently, I have no x86 machine. I'm fairly confident of my ability to build an x86 machine that will run the cracked version of Tiger, and theoretically, that would be able to dual-boot Mac and Windows. Or, I could wait until 2006, and see if the Mactels will do the same. I know they can run Windows without emulation, but I don't know about dual-booting. I would hope that Apple would be nice enough to support that, but considering their marketing strategy, most likely there would not be any, and I'd have to go with whatever VPC becomes. It will be faster, of course, because no processor emulation will be needed, but that's also more money down the drain; Windows is 'spensive enough by itself. So please, give me the benefit of your insight. I'm so tired of arguing with myself...

Post edited by: JediJoker7169, at: 2005/10/01 00:12
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re:Build Or Wait And See? - 09/30/05 08:58 PM

Well from my research OSx86 will need a CPU that can do SSE3 but like you said it can be cracked and able to run on a SSE2. If Apple doesn't make it dual bootable I bet someone can figure it out or you might have to use a Linux Bootloader. Heck who knows maybe some one will port WINE to OSx86 or even the port battle of your fav games will contnue.

I would just buy a PC/build that has a CPU that can support SSE3.

Re:Build Or Wait And See? - 10/01/05 02:38 AM

Oh, believe me, I know too much already about what will and won't work with Tiger for x86, so I was already planning on an Athlon or Pentium 4 machine. The crack I was referring to was the cracked regular version of the OS that I torrented a while ago and is just sitting idle on my external drive. Although it would be nice if I could get one of those CDs from eBay or something... I'll see if anyone's smart enough to sell their copy.

Post edited by: JediJoker7169, at: 2005/10/01 09:41

Re:Build Or Wait And See? - 10/01/05 11:02 AM

I would REALLY appreciate some more input on this one. I realize that there are some more interesting posts up, but this is a very important decision for me.
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:Build Or Wait And See? - 10/01/05 11:21 AM

JediJoker7169 wrote:
Quote:
I'm fairly confident of my ability to build an x86 machine that will run the cracked version of Tiger, and theoretically, that would be able to dual-boot Mac and Windows.

I am against this. I admit, I've done my share of software theft in the past, but Apple is the one company I refuse/refused to steal from. Why? Because I truly believe in Apple and I respect their company as a whole. Not exactly a utilitarian view, but that's how I feel. wink

My suggestion? If you're into gaming, then bite the bullet and build a gaming PC.

Just my view :silly:

Post edited by: shadowboxer47, at: 2005/10/01 18:32
Posted by: mordaskyt

Re:Build Or Wait And See? - 10/01/05 12:59 PM

Build the PC for gaming, If you can choose hardware that also lets you mess around with OSX86 on it bonus, but don't count on the current bootleg of OSX working over the long term, I'd advise againsed building an entire system just to run a hacked OS. It may prove to be incompatible with whatever they finally come out with.

Re:Build Or Wait And See? - 10/01/05 01:30 PM

If I built one, Windows would be the primary OS and OS X the secondary, but I will need both nonetheless. Well, not need, but close enough...
Posted by: mechanisma22

Re:Build Or Wait And See? - 10/01/05 05:34 PM

I one up not doing bootleg of Tiger. I admit I did bootleg XP but I feel better with a legitimate Mac. I would actually save money for a really nice intel Powermac. I'm sure there will be games for OS X by then.
Posted by: destructospin

Re:Build Or Wait And See? - 10/01/05 06:43 PM

i would build
seriously
if you keep thinking "the macintels will have games"
or any other thoughts to perpetuate holding out, you'll wait forever

Re:Build Or Wait And See? - 10/01/05 07:02 PM

I know that there will probably be more games for OS X because the basic system code will be the same, but there won't be a great upsurge. That's not what I would be waiting for. What I need is a box that will effectively dual-boot Windows and OS X, obviously on separate drives. In terms of pirating, I do feel a little guilty, of course. I hate to cheat Apple out of anything. So, in that light, yeah... I don't really have enough money to build a decent gaming PC and also by a Mactel, so it's one or the other and it will need dual-boot capabilities.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re:Build Or Wait And See? - 10/01/05 08:49 PM

It's kinda funny. I never have bought a MS product. Meaning NS never got money from me. I always buy second hand or pirate it lol. Heck my two Xboxes were given to me but in non working condtion. One had a broken CD tray and the other had a bad motherboard. Just switched out DVD drives and walla lol.

Something tells me that Apple is going to hold back a while longer for the Intel swap. Probly because people are able to hack the stolen relase to run on almst any PC. For all we know Apple might use a spcial ROM/BIOS on their final product so we would be forced to buy a "Mactel". Just never know.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:Build Or Wait And See? - 10/02/05 01:18 AM

If you're anything like a serious gamer, you'll need to upgrade again when the Intel PowerMacs are released anyway. Buy a fast PC now and dual boot it. Be aware that upgrading the hacked OS X x86 will likely be a massive headache (or more likely a full reinstall), and be prepared to live with the current version for two years. The you can get an Intel PowerMac, and if you need to boot Windows, you can use the old machine (which you may be about to buy now). You can always throw more RAM and a new gfx card in it. Maybe a new CPU. That would allow you to spread the cost a bit.

Re:Build Or Wait And See? - 10/04/05 04:15 PM

Thanks for the input, everyone, and I think I've decided to go forth and build a machine for my gaming, but keeping my AlBook as my primary computer still, because Windows sucks, and there's no guarantee of a seamless integration of OS X and homemade SSE3 machine. If anyone has any suggestion for a case, please let me know. I was thinking I might try using an old G4 case, but I've been told that it's more trouble than it's worth, and although cool, G5 cases just get too expensive.