8500 - free parts,trash, or Mod Ideas

Posted by: BrainMan

8500 - free parts,trash, or Mod Ideas - 09/25/05 09:09 AM

I've got an 8500 that once upon a time I was going to turn into a print spooler, then a Mpeg Jute box. I took it apart to canibalize some fans but changed my mind. It's still in parts but I can easily reassemble.
Does anybody have any ideas of what to do with it? Anybody want some parts - I realize it would cost more to ship than it's worth. But some of you are amazing little inventors and might need something I never thought of. Or should I just send it to the Land Fill?
Posted by: Draconis

Re:8500 - free parts,trash, or Mod Ideas - 09/25/05 10:03 AM

If you do decide to trash it search around for a computer recycling organization in your area. You could use it for legacy compatability for that app that never got converted to OSX or the occasional game of Marathon. Frog Blast the Vent Core!

~~~~~~~
Draconis
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re:8500 - free parts,trash, or Mod Ideas - 09/25/05 11:31 AM

I'll take the case.
Posted by: Arius

Re:8500 - free parts,trash, or Mod Ideas - 09/25/05 12:05 PM

i'll take the hard drive, so long as it's IDE... and them fans.... thanx

Re:8500 - free parts,trash, or Mod Ideas - 09/25/05 12:22 PM

Yes, recycle. There's one just down the street from me and to tell you the truth, it's easier for me to dump it in their lap. But I wanted to see if anybody could turn it into a computerized coffee maker or something.

OK. TCPmeta, I've got you down for the case.
You know, you could put the parts of a water cooler in it.

I'll wait a week or so and see if anybody really has any creative uses. If not, I'll take it out back and strip the parts, weigh the ones people want, and figure out how to ship.

By the way, it includes about(?) 112mg of RAM (the old kind) and a 128TwinnTurbo PCI video card (no longer supported, the company went under) 4GB Hdrive, 2x or? 4x AppleCD burner, floppy drive.
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:8500 - free parts,trash, or Mod Ideas - 09/25/05 12:30 PM

Cool deal. I'll take the RAM, the Apple CD burner (if it actually is a burner?) and the HD if it's SCSI. Of course, I'll pay for shipping. I'll PM you about it.

Thanks!

Re:8500 - free parts,trash, or Mod Ideas - 09/25/05 02:27 PM

I think you're right on the CD drive - it's stock and I can't remember if I ever burned anything with it. I had another burner and can't remember. HD should be SCSI (50 pin right?)- again stock.