What to do with my imac g3?

Posted by: davvyk

What to do with my imac g3? - 09/14/05 09:29 AM

hey i just picked up a old imac g3 for pennys and well i dont really have any plans for it i just took ti cos it was so cheap. i was wondering if there was any really cool ideas for what i could use it as?

absolutly anything?
Posted by: maestro

Re:What to do with my imac g3? - 09/14/05 09:34 AM

Which one is it? They make great music servers if you put a larger hard drive in.
-maestro

Re:What to do with my imac g3? - 09/14/05 09:38 AM

tis 500mhz g3
192ram
10gb hard drive

music servers a good idea if i add the wireless and a larger disc!
do they just take your standard fare IDE hard discs

i do have to apologise i dont know a great deal about macs, ive always jsut admired them from afar and when offered this for 20quid i thought im sur ei can find a good use for it
Posted by: whitlock

Re:What to do with my imac g3? - 09/14/05 09:42 AM

Browse through these mod guides and see if anything inspires you

[ol]External Mods - http://www.macmod.com/content/category/3/36/2/[/ol]
[ol]Internal Mods - http://www.macmod.com/content/category/5/43/2/[/ol]

Re:What to do with my imac g3? - 09/14/05 09:55 AM

Yep, standard IDE ata 3.5 hard drives. Also upgrade the ram if you can.
-maestro

Re:What to do with my imac g3? - 09/14/05 09:59 AM

there some really cool mods. but im not so much thinking of case mods and the like. just cool uses for the mac, as obviously it wouldnt have to do my main computing tasks is there any ideas for what i could use it for. like the music server suggestion.

all ideas hugly appriciated
Posted by: burtman

Re:What to do with my imac g3? - 09/14/05 10:07 AM

VoIP server, using asterisk, route your households SIP calls through it and learn a bit in the process. check http://www.astmasters.net

Re:What to do with my imac g3? - 09/14/05 10:11 AM

Yeah! this is the business, kinda a small project that il learn stuff while doing it!

maybe i should rephrase the question

What would you do if you had a imac g3 for 20 quid>?
Posted by: zenstate

Re:What to do with my imac g3? - 09/14/05 10:14 AM

any mod ideas really need to come from you if you really want to be happy in the end.

on a practical note you could use the system as a bit torrent downloader or anything that will take load of any other systems you may have. 2 systems is nice to have.
Posted by: anil8tor

Re:What to do with my imac g3? - 09/14/05 10:15 AM

If you put a huge hard drive in it you could make it a file server, back up your other pc files to and run music/ voip if you like

Re:What to do with my imac g3? - 09/14/05 10:18 AM

yeah this is true. if gunna be happy it will have to be somthign ive chosen. im just lookin for ideas as ima bit stumped.

the bittorrent and file server idea is one that appeals as my main machine is a media center and bt downloading interferes with recording so a second machine for that is a really good plan
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re:What to do with my imac g3? - 09/14/05 10:21 AM

Heres a idea, Just use it as a small server for HTTPd, FTP or even E-Mail. Do a ATX power supply mod to it and build a rackmount case. Theres really tons of great ideas. Might want to jump the memory to 512MB for server use.

Re:What to do with my imac g3? - 09/14/05 10:31 AM

oh its the crt g3 if that makes any diff

Re:What to do with my imac g3? - 09/14/05 10:46 AM

A slick paint job would be cool. If everything still works, I would leave the crt and mb in its case.
-maestro
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re:What to do with my imac g3? - 09/14/05 10:53 AM

Well keep the ATX mod in mind when the CRT dies. Never know when that will happen.