Booting Performa 637CD to CD?

Posted by: Surfadelic

Booting Performa 637CD to CD? - 04/07/05 10:54 AM

Okay, I haven't used my late mom's Performa 637CD since August 1998, when I ordered my AIO G3 from Apple's online Apple Store. Whenever I've had to move back home, we just used my G3 instead of her Performa (exept when the AIO PSU died in mid-2002, and we used her Performa 6360 for a while). Now that I'm planning on getting the Performa going again, mostly to play some of the older games such as the original SimCity, I have to ask...

What is the key combination used, to boot a 68K Macintosh with a bootable CD? Yes, I've been too spoilt by only having to use the C-key, for all of these years. :P

Matt
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Booting Performa 637CD to CD? - 04/07/05 01:46 PM

If memory serves me correctly, it IS the "C" Key. You may just have to zap the PRAM a couple times, then nail the "C" key after you hear the ROM tone.

It was on older machines that you had the archaic boot combinations.

Re:Booting Performa 637CD to CD? - 04/07/05 04:02 PM

The Performa 637CD is one of them older machines that uses an archaic key combination to boot from a bootable CD. In fact, if it's a pre-PPC Mac, it takes an finger gnarling key combination...at least that much I can remember. If ya thought the "three finger salute" to force-reboot a Mac was bad...the key combo to boot a 68K Mac from a CD is even worse...IF I could just remember it.

Matt

Re:Booting Performa 637CD to CD? - 04/07/05 04:36 PM

Oh, your talking command-option-shift-delete

Re:Booting Performa 637CD to CD? - 04/08/05 08:21 AM

Thanks whitlock! At least I had half of it, but the Shift and Delete steps kept eluding me, which is why I asked.:)

Matt
Posted by: WurdBendur

Re:Booting Performa 637CD to CD? - 04/08/05 02:47 PM

Well, I guess that's no more difficult than comman-option-p-r to zap the PRAM.
Though, I have a 68k Performa 630CD that works with the C key. At least I think it does. I haven't used it for a while.
Posted by: griffer

Re:Booting Performa 637CD to CD? - 04/08/05 09:21 PM

My 640 works with the C key, so i guess apple introduced it around those models

Re:Booting Performa 637CD to CD? - 04/09/05 02:55 AM

griffer wrote:
Quote:
My 640 works with the C key, so i guess apple introduced it around those models

I remembered that the 640 would boot from "C', but I'm still sure that the 637 would because it has the "CD" following it, and the "C" key was something that they brought in with CD models. Quadra's, though, were a pain with the four-finger hand cramp afterwards. But the four-finger hand cramp would overide any command from "C" and you can use it in conjunction with a number that coresponds with the SCSI bus and you can boot from that number.