external hard drive help?????

Posted by: cooler_king1984

external hard drive help????? - 05/11/07 09:58 AM

hi there guys, i have just bought a  http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-2980.aspx  and i am having huge problems getting it working basically!  i have rang the technical helpline, they will ring me back on monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!  i thought someone on here may be able to help me before then?

anyway, the problem;

i connected it to the mac, nothing happened but disk utility came up (which incidently i cannot find now???) and i could see the hard drive, but couldnt do anything atall to it!

so after a few attempts i got bored and connected it to the pc, i was given the option to format it, which i did and gave it a name etc,  i then connected it to the mac, then i could see it on the desktop and see the files on it, great, it works!!! no!

i cannot writ to it atall off the mac which is useless as thats all i bought it for, i want it to have nothing to do with the pc atall, but ive spoiled that already!!!!  any ideas? can anyone help me get this working on my mac at all?  cheers!

by the way ive only just been able join this forum as it would never let me for some reason???? anyway im a lurker and have been watching for some time!!!  great site!  ;-)  inspired me to do a bit of work to my g4 agp, just ordered a sonnet 1.4ghz upgrade, a blue led fan and more ram aswell as a new case that i need to know howq to strip paint of, so if anyone has any ideas, im open to them! cheers!!!!  philip, manchester u.k.
Posted by: Kisin

Re: external hard drive help????? - 05/11/07 11:55 AM

HEY PHIL
if you can't find disk utility, try bootoing from the systems discs that came with your computer and use the disk utility there to format the disk into something like os x extended (journaled) format.

I think the reason you can read but not write to the disk is because you used a windows format (FAT32 perhaps?)

Hope this helps, good luck

Kisin

Re: external hard drive help????? - 05/11/07 12:33 PM

ive now found the disk utility! wasnt looking on the right hard drive!  derrrrrr!

connected it back up to the mac and i can see it but canot do anything to it! i have no permissions????  is it going to be possible to re-format it and if so how???

i tried re-formatting on the pc but it gives me no options atall to do anything differently??????
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: external hard drive help????? - 05/11/07 01:38 PM

It will be NTFS, FAT32 plays happily enough with X.

Select the drive in the list on the left of the Disk Utility window, you may see it listed twice, once by manufacturer name and model, then again below listed by the partition on it. Select the top one, then click the 'erase' tab on the right side of the window. There is a drop down to choose the format (Go for Mac OS Extended, journaled). Then hit the erase button. You'll be good to go.
You could choose MS-DOS as the format, then you'll be able to use the drive with both your Mac and your PC. If you don't want to use it with the PC, use Mac OS since it is more reliable over the long term with Macs.

Re: external hard drive help????? - 05/12/07 03:06 AM

these are in grey though, i cant access the erase things or anything?
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: external hard drive help????? - 05/12/07 08:06 AM

hmmm. Only reason that tends to happen is if you have selected the drive from which you are booted. Make sure you have the correct drive selected. Change the name of the drive in the finder if you can. Then you will know for sure you have the right one.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: external hard drive help????? - 05/12/07 10:27 AM

NTFS works in OSX but only has file read access not read and write access.

Re: external hard drive help????? - 05/12/07 10:43 AM

connected it back up to my dads pc and it is in ntfs! but it gives me no options to change it!!!!!! doh!  i havent got a clue whatto do now!!!!!!!!!!  :-(
Posted by: Kisin

Re: external hard drive help????? - 05/12/07 11:22 AM

1.-First plug the external HDD to your mac, boot said mac.
2.-If you can see both the internal and the external HDDs in the finder try changing their names to "Internal" and "external" without the quotes. if you can only see the internal HDD take note of its name.
3.-go to system preferences and click on "startup disk"
4.-check that your internal hdd is selected as the startup disk tomake sure you are booting from the internal hdd
5.-quit system preferences
6.- launch disk utility
7.-if you are booting from the internal hdd, you should be able to select the external hdd and follow War's instructions to erase and format it.
8.- if you can't select it in disk utility there may be something wrong with the drive, also try using a different cable to hook it up.

good luck, hope this helps

Kisin