Supertooth 2.0

Posted by: TCPMeta

Supertooth 2.0 - 01/23/07 04:39 AM

I know I keep posting about my sawtooth systems that i'm merging into one case but I have finally got the perfect setup. I got two ATX cases with out the power supplys. All I have to do is cut them up with my aircompresser. Cut a opening on the top of one and cut out the bottom of the other then use pop rivets to hold them together. Use the spare metal from the holes and make a delete plate for the power supply on the top case then add wheels on the bottom case. With the power supply in the middle the case would not be top heavy and tip over. Have each sawtooth logicboard on each level and have the hard drives on the bottom of the case (to make it not topheavy).

In another thread I asked if anyone had some PS1 LCDs they wanted to sell so I could install them on each sawtooth. this way I can save desk space.

Also I was planing to finally water cool it with a cheap o  evercool cooling system that I've used in many systems before. Just have to cool the CPUs and not worry about the video cards and also add a extra water tank from a 2 to 3 inch pvc pipe setup in a inline style. The water cooling will be last since the cooler costs 100 bucks and I don't want to put too much money into this mod.

Tomorrow I will start on the case and on sunday if I have time i'll start installing the hardware.

I have tested the one powersupply with two logicboards for a few months now and they work great. Just to have to run both systems at once or I have to reset the PRAM on the second system. I will take plenty on pictures of this mod since now I have a camera that will work well in low light.

Re: Supertooth 2.0 - 01/24/07 06:46 AM

Heres a link to the mod guide im writing. When it's done i'll remake the guide for macmod.

http://68.209.133.69:89/sawtooth/index.html

I have done a test fit for the hardware in the cases and everything fits. Now onto cutting the case.
Posted by: manhackman

Re: Supertooth 2.0 - 01/24/07 08:15 AM

nice site!!!! the orange/black/grey combo is some good eye candy!
looking forward to seeing the guide!

Re: Supertooth 2.0 - 01/24/07 09:04 AM

Well i'm done with combining the cases. Heres the pictures, I havn't updated the site yet.

http://68.209.133.69:89/sawtooth/pictures

All I need to do to the case before hardware goes in is make the power supply delete plate, rubber to go around the cutout and something to fill the gap on the front since theres coving on the case front panel on the bottom and top where they meet.

Re: Supertooth 2.0 - 01/29/07 06:51 AM

My server has been down for a while. Bellsouth came out to run new cables from the outside box to my telephone network box and a few cables inside to house so I can have a 6mbit connection. They gave me a USB DSL modem and took my old ethernet one and so for me to have a shared internet access network I have to make a software router., but to do that I have to ait for them to get done. I tryed to get a new ethernet modem but they want me to pay 10 bucks for every extra system I want to access the web.
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re: Supertooth 2.0 - 01/29/07 12:07 PM

LOL!!!  Lose Bellsouth and get a cable modem!
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Supertooth 2.0 - 01/29/07 01:32 PM

Ouch! Before today, I would have said they can't tell, but I spoke to a DSL support guy who as is usual asked me to use the supplied cheapo USB modem. I always assumed this was for phone support purposes, so they could train unskilled drones to do tier one support. But this agent claimed he could run extra tests from his end if the USB modem was used. Since this ISP doesn't mind you having your own network, I have no reason to doubt this claim, so I'm with Jacob.

Re: Supertooth 2.0 - 01/29/07 05:55 PM

I've seen many people here in town with crapcast and on a good day they can get about a 1.2mbit connection. My fiancee's family can only get the speed of a 56k modem with theirs lol. Anyway, I went ahead and bought a ethernet DSL modem off of ebay.