Sticky-Backed, Anti-Static, Insulating Stuff.

Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Sticky-Backed, Anti-Static, Insulating Stuff. - 06/16/06 02:19 PM

OK, so I have enough of my Xserve case to finally start building it. The top half of the case is genuine Apple original, the bottom half I have just acquired, and is a simple open-ended stainless steel tray. The back end where the ports go is not a problem to fabricate, nor is the runner system (its such a good fit). That leaves the front bezel. Still haven't decided whether to make one or buy one. They cost a bundle though for what they actaully do.

My current problem is that the bottom case is bare steel. Obvisouly bolting PCBs to bare metal is not a great idea, so I need to insulate most of it before installing parts. The insulation must not allow for any build up of static, or it will be worse than mounting on bare metal. The Apple case has a layer of such a material. Anybody know what it is? Or more importantly, where I can get some?
Posted by: TutAnGeek

Sticky-Backed, Anti-Static, Insulating Stuff. - 06/16/06 07:29 PM

Why not just use stand offs and paper/plastic washers like in a regular computer?

Sticky-Backed, Anti-Static, Insulating Stuff. - 06/17/06 11:17 AM

Its a 1U case. Certain parts like the RAM and heat sink come fairly close to the top. I figure the more room I have for air to flow over the top of the boards the better.
Posted by: Kisin

Sticky-Backed, Anti-Static, Insulating Stuff. - 06/18/06 10:40 PM

wouldn't the sinsulating stuff eat up more room than some washers and spacers? if your goal is to isolate the board from the box, just take a good measure os everything and use plastic spacers, that'll keep the board "floating" away from the metal box and only touching the spacers, thus improving airflow on both sides of the board
Posted by: modyourmac

Sticky-Backed, Anti-Static, Insulating Stuff. - 06/19/06 07:38 AM

look online for anti-static matting. In my office, the entire workbench is covered in a sheet of blue static dissipating rubber its about an 8th to a 16th inch thick. Many websites sell it in rolls, or precut sheets. All you have to do is buy some, cut it to shape, and ground it to the metal chassis.

Sticky-Backed, Anti-Static, Insulating Stuff. - 06/19/06 11:52 AM

Now that sounds more like it. We have AS mats, but they are a good 5 or 6mm thick for the most part.

Many thanks.