wifi antenna on car to ibook

Posted by: TCPMeta

wifi antenna on car to ibook - 08/28/05 08:52 AM

I was wondering if it would be posible to splice into my car's atenna for my airport on my ibook. This way I can upload/download files from my car. I'm planing to use my ibook for MP3 use in my car. I already got the sound connected to my stereo system in the car. If I can setup the airport right I would need to lug my ibook inside just to copy a few MP3s over to it.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:wifi antenna on car to ibook - 08/28/05 09:32 AM

The antenna on most Mac laptops runs up into the screen. No real reason you could'nt pull it out and extend it to attach to the car. Maybe you could even rig a custom external antenna port on the iBook.

Re:wifi antenna on car to ibook - 08/28/05 10:13 AM

well i went ahead and tryed it and it works. Funny thing is I picked up some one elses wireless router. Oh well nothing I can do about that. Well yes I can, I can laugh about how funny it is that people buy wireless devices and don't know how to set them up correctly.
If you're wondering the answer is no I didn't try to leech off that connection.
Posted by: krusher117

Re:wifi antenna on car to ibook - 08/28/05 10:23 AM

so you managed to connect it directly to your cars antenna? What kind of wire did you use?

Re:wifi antenna on car to ibook - 08/28/05 12:41 PM

Well from my dead imac Slot-Load I pulled out the airport wireing and just cracked opened the dash panel that has the CD player and disconnected my atenna from the CD player and wired up the wire that i pulled from my dead imac and Opened up my iBook and pluged it in to the airport card.

Super simple .and easy. Only took 10minutes.
Posted by: krusher117

Re:wifi antenna on car to ibook - 08/28/05 04:21 PM

that's awesome. I would have never thought of it. Did it improve your signal much?