Modding Display Prefs in Tiger - help A n00b??

Posted by: bagh33ra

Modding Display Prefs in Tiger - help A n00b?? - 08/18/05 11:52 AM

Hey group,

I've got an interesting problem that is (currently) beyond my technical expertise.. I'm sure you've all seen in Tiger that the Geometry section of the Displays Preference Pane is only available when using certain ATI cards. Specifically, the ROTATE button is missing on my g5's using nVidia gForce 5200 Ultras (3 machines).

What I need to be able to do is somehow unlock that rotate feature - the cards should be able to handle the load, nvrotate is available for windows as well as linux/unix (xfree86) driver packages for the card in question.

Apple forums netted me the answer of "It only works with ATI, if I told you why we'd both dissappear" type of responses. I'm just too stubborn to fall in line and recommend purchasing new cards - especially since one of the 3 machines is brand new!

Any suggestions or assistance with this one would be appreciated.
Posted by: anil8tor

Re:Modding Display Prefs in Tiger - help A n00b?? - 08/18/05 12:21 PM

Ok,
I have to ask this...Have you tried the hardware buttons on your monitor?
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Modding Display Prefs in Tiger - help A n00b?? - 08/18/05 03:42 PM

my only suggestion would be to start cracking open the pref pane for the displays. See if there is anything in there that might be able to be changed or send you in the right direction.
Posted by: bagh33ra

Re:Modding Display Prefs in Tiger - help A n00b?? - 08/18/05 04:41 PM

Yup anil, hardware controls on the Dell 1905FP are pretty limited - even on a windows machine rotation of the desktop image is handled by software (nvRotate for example).

The Dell LCDs aren't sophisticated enough to monitor the angle of the housing and adjust the desktop 270 or 90 deg. B) Essentially with certain ATI cards (Radeon 9000 Pro Mac Ed, newer PCI-ex cards, the vid processor in mac minis, etc) the rotate button is just there.

(Here's where my noobness wil show in a sec)

oojacoboo:

I tried looking at the preference pane itself with vi - which didn't work out very well, but amongst the gibberish I did see something along the lines of GeometryPane@@geom@@NoAdjustment01@@NoAdjustment02@@NoGeometry@@@@@

Or something like that. Basically I think that is what to crack open - but I'm completely at a loss as to how. Like a dummy I tried just deleting the NoAdjustment and NoGeometry lines - which just resulted in a message that the display pref couldn't be opened. I guess this is one of those "needs to be compiled" type of things.

Since it seems I'm going in something resembling the right directions I'll go ahead and shoo myself off to the faqs and other associated help-like posts before I go asking anymore questions. whistle
Thanks for the tip though. Good to know I was at least trying to fiddle with the right thing.