Mod ideas for my up comming B&W

Posted by: TCPMeta

Mod ideas for my up comming B&W - 08/06/05 12:34 PM

I just bought a B&W today. Won't get it untill next week but here are some mods i'm planing to do.

The system is comming with 128MB of ram. I'm going to max it out ofcorse. Also it has a 6GB SCSI Drive. That is going to be replaced with a 80GB SCSI Seagate drive. Also im planing to add some extra harddrives also. Have my self a seven SCSI drive chain, the drives will vary in size. Also i'm going to try and locate a video card Most likly ATI or nVidia video that has alteast 64MB of VRAM for it.

Enough with the typical upgrades time for mods.
ATX 550watt Power supply convertion.
Car Cig lighter (yes I smoke)
120mm fan for the system to breath better.
Make the case clear and all a lot of lighting.
Gut out as much metal as I can to make the system light weight.
Paint the Metal a satin black with red gloss spackel finish.
Add converted DDR memory heatsinks to the memory SDRAM modules.
If I have enough room I can add a small PSOne LCD screen to the front or side of the case.

Most of theses mods won't be done some are ideas some are not.
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Mod ideas for my up comming B&W - 08/06/05 05:05 PM

that sounds great TCP, I like the idea of painting the metal chassis.
Posted by: Antonio

Re:Mod ideas for my up comming B&W - 08/07/05 02:03 AM

Yes, but don't forget the 10mm cannons and sidewinder missiles :evil:
Posted by: modyourmac

Re:Mod ideas for my up comming B&W - 08/07/05 05:56 AM

Heh, you're a braver man than me TCP. The one rule of the house here is never smoking inside. Being Apple/PC Techs, we periodically encounter what we call the Marlboro Effect. People who are in some cases "Shut-ins" and pretty much chain smoke in an enclosed environment for months at a time. Then their computers break and they bring me an iMac G4 that isnt white and clear anymore. Its dark brown, and covered in tar. We've had iMac G3's where we've had to spray the plastics with oven cleaner, and then pressure wash them to get them back to normal. Another time, we had to spend an hour scraping the gunk out of a customer's machine to get it to close right.

Of course, I'm not sayin that you're in that category or anything. I'm certainly not smile I just dont ever wanna have to clean my computers, the way I've had to clean other people's.

Course, it IS funny when the service manager tells a customer that the technician decided he wasnt going to repair their machine, till he'd put on rubber gloves and scrubbed all the tobacco tar out of their computer. Oh, and it took 3 hours. :silly:
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Mod ideas for my up comming B&W - 08/07/05 06:07 AM

I called it "Marlboro Man's Revenge" at the old shop. Had this lady who wanted every part replaced in her tangerine iMac because she fried her machine due to the old mans revenge. After spending hours cleaning all of the components that were still usable and replacing the bad with the good, I said it was good and gave her a call.

She came in the store and actually said, after making us do the cleanup & fix, "would it have been cheaper to replace the whole machine"? Uh, the damn thing was not worth over 300 and the bill came to twice that price. We could have hooked her up with a rocking 600mhz Snow for what she fixed her computer for.

Anyways, I digress. Smoking is bad for your computers.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re:Mod ideas for my up comming B&W - 08/07/05 07:38 AM

Lol, i've fixed so many systems with the brown tar color. I find windex to be a great cleaner for this. Although I hardly smoke. My ash tray will be filled with cig butts but I'm lucky If I get a drag or two from that one cig. I get to tied into a game and forget about the cig. The only major problems with the cig tar is on monitors. Like last week I cleaned my cluster server's monitor, when I finished cleaning it and turned it on it hurt my eyes, Too bright.
Other then that it doesn't hurt the PC it self. Just makes it look ugly.