N64 Performa

Posted by: linuxwil

N64 Performa - 07/11/05 05:26 AM

So dig this. I've got a performa 5125CD and an n64. I will combine them to make an awesome all in one super station. The first problem i Have run into is the whole monitor ordeal. I want to use it and not bother replacing it with something else. So, is it possible to turn the connections from the monitor into that of those that would be compatible with a direct rgb connection? Eh? Anybody know? Also, can anyone think of what to name it? Thanks in advance! -Wil
So, In taking the whole thinga part I found an RGB cable. Can i just plug my n64 into that?

Post edited by: linuxwil, at: 2005/07/11 15:08
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:N64 Performa - 07/11/05 08:55 AM

Looking at the performas service manual, using the CRT to connect to both the Mac and N64 is going to be damned near impossible.Having said that, I'm assuming the connections between the logic, analogue video and video boards are all machine specific. The manual doesn't give a good enough view of the connectors.
Mactracker says the 5215 and 5220 have built in RGB CRTs and/or optional DB-15 display connectors. Whether these DB-15s are external or not I'm not sure.

If this is correct, you might be able to find a way to connect the N64. But I suspect it will involve a chain of antiquated adaptors to convert the signals at the very least.

Have you considered running the N64 through the performas TV Tuner? Might be easier, though obviously not ideal....

Re:N64 Performa - 07/11/05 11:20 AM

well i was hoping itd be simpler, but doesnt the tv tuner involve booting into the OS? or can it just turn on the monitor? Sheesh, guess I'll have to throw a tv into the case and take out the CRT. P.S. none of this is at the same time, does that improve my odds of getting it to work? Yeah, Im stripping the WHOLE thing and just using the case, (maybe) monitor and (maybe) speakers. Im stripping the N64 too obviously, and sliding it in to wherre the logic board, cd rom, floppy, etc was.

Post edited by: linuxwil, at: 2005/07/11 18:21

Post edited by: linuxwil, at: 2005/07/12 05:32
Posted by: Anonymous

Re:N64 Performa - 07/11/05 01:54 PM

I'd say its easier to throw a TV tube in there.....because you'll have to find some way to power that interal mac monitor without booting up AND you'll have to find a way to send it a signal frown . Thats a lot of needless work. I think you can stick a TV tube in there for less than $50! Not to mention you'll ahve a better remote control for it.

Re:N64 Performa - 07/13/05 06:22 PM

sigh. I have decided this would be too silly of an idea, needing more time than i desire to put into the project. Plus I'd have to get creative with the N64 too. Anyway, I've decided to make a rackmountable Dreamcast instead. Then a Rackmountable N64. Then a 2600. We'll see how those projects go. Thanks for the help anyway.

Re:N64 Performa - 07/13/05 06:22 PM

sigh. I have decided this would be too silly of an idea, needing more time than i desire to put into the project. Plus I'd have to get creative with the N64 too. Anyway, I've decided to make a rackmountable Dreamcast instead. Then a Rackmountable N64. Then a 2600. We'll see how those projects go. Thanks for the help anyway.