Tiger on Older G3's

Posted by: ubergeek89

Tiger on Older G3's - 05/11/05 12:54 PM

I have an iBook SE 366. I want to put tiger on it. Getting the cd version is easy. The hard part is, will I be able to install since it doesnt have firewire (a rather silly system requirment if you ask me)? My thoughts were useing a usb hard drive and image it with carbon copy cloner/netrestore. I'm not sure what to do. I know some think its a slow machine to run it on, but it will be faster than panther, especially if a turn some of the UI effects off.
Posted by: KnifeLord

Re:Tiger on Older G3's - 05/11/05 02:19 PM

Get a CCC, a external hard drive and put the external HD in a Powermac... Load the system to the HD, put the HD back in the case, plug into the iBook use CCC.

-Knife

Re:Tiger on Older G3's - 05/11/05 03:13 PM

But will it boot is the question.
Posted by: MikeMan

Re:Tiger on Older G3's - 05/11/05 06:19 PM

THis is sorta helpfulll to me cos i have a G3 with no FW ill have a go since i have the Tiger DVD if i can get a powermac
Posted by: Jias

Re:Tiger on Older G3's - 05/11/05 06:43 PM

I don't see why it wouldn't work. In my experience, the only true system requirement that has proven a problem for any app I've tried is screen resolution (I think it was iMovie? I don't remember, but it wouldn't run on my iBook, since the max res is 800x600). Once I get software onto older machines, in all my expereience it runs fine, even if it doesn't meet a fairly trivial hardware "requirement". Usually these requirements seem to only give problems while running the installer itself.

I'm looking at putting Tiger on one (or maybe both?) of my G3s, but both are firewire. I'll try booting my iBook (which seems identical to yours, ubergeek, in all respects except the firewire) from Tiger on my machine at work, and see how it handles it.
Posted by: maestro

Re:Tiger on Older G3's - 05/12/05 12:57 AM

I am not entirely sure, but I would say no. I think it will prompt that you do not have firewire on your system and will not boot. You could just connect your G4 to your iBook with a crossover cabel and clone it that way. Try it, you have nothing to lose and I am sure other people would like to know if it works.
-maestro

Re:Tiger on Older G3's - 05/12/05 05:35 AM

Tiger seems to like my old iBook well enough. I have it booted from the drive in my G5 at work, and it certainly isn't any slower than Panther was. I don't know if it's actually any FASTER either, but certainly not a loss.

Like I said before, you shouldn't have a hard time running it on your iBook, once you can get it on there. The installer is not gonna like a machine with no Firewire.

Re:Tiger on Older G3's - 05/12/05 06:13 AM

I don't need a crossover cable to do it, my whole house is wired (and wireless), but I'll give CCC and NetRestore a shot. Worst case I just do a much needed archive and install of 10.3. I'm going to keep my imac to 10.3 server (it's my itunes music server).
Posted by: TutAnGeek

Re:Tiger on Older G3's - 05/12/05 01:46 PM

FYI, if you haven't pickedthis up yet, CCC doesn't work w/ Tiger.

Re:Tiger on Older G3's - 05/12/05 02:16 PM

However, I beleive netrestore (made by the same company as CCC) can also make images, and if not, i can do that with disk utility.

Re:Tiger on Older G3's - 05/12/05 02:55 PM

I would think that CCC shouldn't have problems cloning Tiger volumes, so long as it is run from a pre-10.4 system. Does anyone know otherwise? It seems to me that there's no reason it wouldn't work this way (if no one knows, I'll try it sometime soon).

Re:Tiger on Older G3's - 05/13/05 02:29 PM

Acually it says right on the Bombich software site that it doesn't work with tiger, and they are working on a new release.
Posted by: TJH

Re:Tiger on Older G3's - 05/14/05 05:56 AM

ubergeek89 wrote:
Quote:
Acually it says right on the Bombich software site that it doesn't work with tiger, and they are working on a new release.

I took that to mean that it wouldn't run in Tiger.. "CCC does not seem to work. Apple updated the authentication sceme of AppleScript Studio (yea!) and there's a little bit of work to be done to get that part of CCC working again." There is no issue cloning a Tiger drive.

I just did it from 10.3.4 and it worked like a dream. Did a clean install and then migrated my old user data into Tiger.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:Tiger on Older G3's - 05/22/05 12:23 AM

I installed Tiger on My PowerBook Lombard (No firewire and only 192MB RAM). But I had to acquire a Developer copy. The later developer copies wouldn't install on it. The real unfortunate part, is that the Dev copies are all but impossible to copy.