Flashing PC Radeon 7000 DDR PCI Video Card

Posted by: Pretzel

Flashing PC Radeon 7000 DDR PCI Video Card - 06/09/04 03:11 AM

Does anybody know if the PC Radeon 7000 with 64MB (not the 32MB) can be flashed with a Mac Rom

Is there a Rom flasher that runs on a Mac

If so which Card Manufacturers should one look out for

Any insight appreciated

tia
Posted by: mark

Re:Flashing PC Radeon 7000 DDR PCI Video Card - 06/09/04 08:37 AM

Yes, I've done it. Its two parts tho' You need a PC to run a placeholder flash then a mac to run the final flash. Should be able to google it pretty easy. I mihgt have the files at home, but I won't be able to look until this weekend.
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Flashing PC Radeon 7000 DDR PCI Video Card - 06/09/04 10:56 AM

Is this a safe operation? I'm trying to find a solution for my aging Nvidia Geforce 4 mx.

Re:Flashing PC Radeon 7000 DDR PCI Video Card - 06/12/04 12:20 PM

Been running mine everyday for almost a year and a half. No problems whatsoever.

I think everything you need to do it can be found here
Posted by: oeo

Re:Flashing PC Radeon 7000 DDR PCI Video Card - 06/12/04 06:42 PM

Hi Mark,

the link you posted talks about the PCI Radeon 32mb DDR. I assume it's the same for the 64MB? I'm also interested in Flashing a PC 7000 64MB to use in a mac...

thanks

t o n y

Re:Flashing PC Radeon 7000 DDR PCI Video Card - 06/13/04 07:43 AM

It should. I forget what card I have but I think its the 64MB version. If you want to double check look around for the german thread that first posted the hack. Most of their important information was translated.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re:Flashing PC Radeon 7000 DDR PCI Video Card - 11/24/04 01:17 PM

The link that was given now seems to be dead.
I am thinking about getting a PC Radeon 7000 64mb DDR, since they're approximately $30 USD, and upgrading some G3 Blue and Whites. Right now the 'Mac' vesion of the card is retailing for $60 on ebay and who knows what others are asking.

Thanks again!
-Andrew
Posted by: zenstate

Re:Flashing PC Radeon 7000 DDR PCI Video Card - 11/24/04 01:56 PM

I know for a fact that the last couple months ati has started to use different sized roms in mac and pc versions of cards. this will prevent flashing and that obviously was the goal of ati. the reason they charge so much more for mac versions is because mac cards only amount to about 10% of their product sales (including oem). they have to put extra work into something that makes less $ so therefore it costs more.
Posted by: maestro

Re:Flashing PC Radeon 7000 DDR PCI Video Card - 01/06/05 08:01 PM

Thats true, they do use different sized ROMs, and then lock them out to that size. They CAN be cracked though by manipulating some resistors. That will unlock a PC card so that the larger mac ROM can be used. Really though, is it worth it to only move up to a 7000, move up to the 9200! You could also try to find an original Mac ATI Radeon PCI. That card kicks the 7000's ass. Check out Bare Feats video archives. By the way RAM size does not speed up the card, it only enhances the visuals. Good luck finding your solution.
-Maestro
Posted by: burtman

Re:Flashing PC Radeon 7000 DDR PCI Video Card - 02/05/05 11:21 AM

I'm in the process of trying this at the moment, I've got a 64MB Saphire Radeon 7000 PCI which has the smaller ROMs on 65k as apposed to 128K required to fit the Mac spesific ROM image into it. I have the required replacment EPROM on order and will have a go at replacing it when it gets hear, they have been out of stock so I'm waiting for my supplier to order them. I have no idea if it will work or not but If it does I'll post my experiance hear. I've got a collection of links to sites which have the instructions and Mac Roms and if anybody wants them let me know. I won't post them hear as the Admins of this site may not appricaite linking to such material. Hopefully this will go into my B&W G3 which sits next to my TV and allow me to do tv out, but we will see.