Mac mini Video i got ??s

Posted by: Too Long

Mac mini Video i got ??s - 09/06/09 04:07 AM

I have a Mac mini late 2006 1.83 Core duo system. The video is only 64MB (80MB), is there any way to overclock the video? or change out parts from newer minis to make it better? Do some software/ firmware stuff to enhance it? I want to play world of warcraft more effectively, everything else is fine just the video is lacking.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Mac mini Video i got ??s - 09/10/09 05:49 AM

You cannot do much to the video card. It will access more than 64MB if you have it available, so you might want to make sure you upgrade to the full 2GB.
Also, you can upgrade to a Core 2 Duo chip which may help a lot more. Just do your research so you get the correct chip. Most of them will not fit and you may find it cheaper to get a new Mac Mini.

Re: Mac mini Video i got ??s - 09/10/09 03:06 PM

yeah I have 2 GB in it, does that mean its running at 80MB as stated on lowendmac.com
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Mac mini Video i got ??s - 09/11/09 12:31 PM

In theory, the GMA950 can access 224MB VRAM max. It is supposed to dynamically allocate what it needs when it needs it but who know what limitations Apple may have put on them. I experimented with an overclocking utility for this chip on my MacBook. It had to be done in Windows and made no permanent difference when I rebooted to OS X.
I do recall reading the clock speed of this chip is higher in a Mac Mini than it is in the MacBooks....

http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/

Re: Mac mini Video i got ??s - 09/15/09 01:57 AM

I found a program called gmaboosterX CLI edition. I had to find it at another source but I got it and the CHUD software from apple. I have no real idea how to install this. Can anyone enlighten me please.

thanks!!