Powermac G5 Ram question

Posted by: iBookdude458

Powermac G5 Ram question - 06/02/09 11:00 AM

I have a dual-core 2.3 GHZ Powermac G5 it can take up to 16 GB of RAM

How much Ram do you think I would actually use? how much should I put in?

I mainly use this computer to run Logic Express and Soon Logic Studio.

I also play Doom 3 and Quake 4 but not as much these days.

so ho much RAM should I through in?
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Powermac G5 Ram question - 06/02/09 12:13 PM

It probably depends how many tracks you are dealing with simultaneously. But Most people will find more than 4Gb is overkill.
Posted by: iBookdude458

Re: Powermac G5 Ram question - 06/02/09 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: "Waragainstsleep"
It probably depends how many tracks you are dealing with simultaneously. But Most people will find more than 4Gb is overkill.

I'm running up to 18 tracks for a 3 piece band but we overdub bass and rhythm guitar.

each track has about 2-3 plugins.

I also run a plugin on the master track for mastering and widening.

I going to be recording other bands as a business so I may need more tracks than for what I'm doing.

Personally I think I could use up 4 gigs quite fast. (I work this thing pretty hard)
Posted by: legomactrumpet

Re: Powermac G5 Ram question - 06/02/09 03:49 PM

i would stick with 6 gigs, remember its not the amount of gigs you have but the speed of ram that makes it faster in the end, more gigs means it can hold more data not transfer it faster.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: Powermac G5 Ram question - 06/03/09 05:22 AM

If it can handle DDR2 then I would toss in DDR2 PC2-6400 800Mhz. Since there are 8 slots I would put a 1GB stick in each slot.
Posted by: johnodd4

Re: Powermac G5 Ram question - 07/27/09 08:28 PM

i recommend 8-gig's of ram i have a few guys in our mac users group here in kent wa and they all seem to stoped at 8 gig because after that they seemed to have stability issues and one of our members lost a processor so be carefull