processor swap sawtooth-dual mdd will it work?

Posted by: geekdude

processor swap sawtooth-dual mdd will it work? - 05/22/09 03:28 PM

what im trying to find out is can i swap a faster dual g4 processor, like say the mdd or quicksilver processor into my sawtooth g4. because that would save me a bunch of monney compared to buying an aftermarket processor upgrade board. I know the slower buss speed will lower the processor speed but it still seems like a better deal.

Re: processor swap sawtooth-dual mdd will it work? - 05/22/09 06:53 PM

just in case you are interested here's what i found out. the mdd processors are not supposed to work with my sawtooth. the quicksilver is supposed to work with some modification to the power lead. the sawtooth will accept dual processors only if its uninorth # is greater than 7. you can download an app to tell you the uni north# at the <a href="www.newertech.com/tech_support/uni-north.php">newertech website</a> mine is 3 so no dice. so it looks like im looking for a single quicksilver processor. also it is possable to clock the processor back up to its normal operating speed by changing the processor multiplier.<br><br>

my next question is if i find a good deal on a dual processor can i use it as a single processor or will it not work at all?
Posted by: MacAttack

Re: processor swap sawtooth-dual mdd will it work? - 05/23/09 07:35 AM

Why get a dual core processor if you only want one core?

Also, otherworldcomputing.com has a bunch of processor upgrades for your g4. That's where I got mine

Re: processor swap sawtooth-dual mdd will it work? - 05/23/09 08:25 AM

i may be able to get a better deal if i know all my options. ebay can be a strange place. Also then if I wanted I could invest in a DA board or something in the future. I know owc offers processors but they start at $100 and im finding Qs cpus for arround $30-$50 on ebay.
Posted by: Oelmuvun

Re: processor swap sawtooth-dual mdd will it work? - 05/23/09 08:31 AM

Just avoid the 733Mhz QS CPU. It is hobbled. The DA 733Mhz CPU is better but you still probably should get something faster.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: processor swap sawtooth-dual mdd will it work? - 05/28/09 04:04 AM

I know the digital audio CPU will work in a sawtooth but you'll have to desolder the second IDE connector so the CPU can fit correctly.
Posted by: Oelmuvun

Re: processor swap sawtooth-dual mdd will it work? - 05/28/09 10:54 AM

Only if it is a dual though, am I remembering correctly?

*Edit
Ah, I am not entirely correct.
Quote:
I was wrong. It fit. Turns out the G4 466 and 533MHz CPU's are 7410's, similar to the old 7400's, and on the same size card. It's the 667 and 733MHz 7450 models that are too big to fit in a Sawtooth. I was also able to use the DA's larger heatsink, because my G4 is in an ATX case.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/DA_CPU_in_Sawtooth/DA_CPU_mods.html