In need of a cable for 17" 1st gen Macbook Pro

Posted by: adamberkey

In need of a cable for 17" 1st gen Macbook Pro - 04/04/09 02:03 PM

Like others, I popped the boot off the logic board connection between the upper case and the logic board, and am in need for a new ribbon cable, and the spot weld between the ribbon and the boot was ripped clean off. Currently I am using my Macbook Pro by using external keyboard and mouse, but I have to jump the PWR BTN contacts in order to bypass the power button that no longer is connected to the logic board.

I sure would like to be able to put this guy back together, but can't until I can obtain the cable as a separate purchase -- well, WON'T until I can find the cable separately. I don't want to buy the entire upper case when there's nothing wrong with it. Who would?

Is Waragainstsleep still around? Looks like he *might* have what I'm looking for. If not him, is there anybody else? Any recommendations?

Thanks all.
Posted by: iBookdude458

Re: In need of a cable for 17" 1st gen Macbook Pro - 04/04/09 07:06 PM

<[censored][censored]" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-15-MacBook-Pro...%3A1%7C294%3A50

solved. yeah its the whole top case but hell its cheap
Posted by: adamberkey

Re: In need of a cable for 17" 1st gen Macbook Pro - 04/04/09 08:22 PM

Not solved. My Macbook Pro is neither a Core 2 Duo model nor is it a 15" model. But I would be happy to pay $40 for the right ribbon cable, with or without the upper case.

As I mention in my subject line, I have a 1st generation Macbook Pro 17". That is 2.16gz, "Core Duo."

Thanks for looking anyways...

EDIT: The products look the same, but I wouldn't want to purchase something that wouldn't work. Do you know if they are the same cable? Maybe the item number change signifies a change in components in the keyboard/trackpad but not the ribbon? I'd need to know this for sure. I will call the local store Monday about this. Hopefully it will work! If so, a great many thanks to you!
Posted by: iBookdude458

Re: In need of a cable for 17" 1st gen Macbook Pro - 04/05/09 12:31 PM

oh sorry I thought you were talking 15.4 inch.
My buddy has a Macbook Pro with a similar issue and he was able to fix it without replacing the cable. post pics of your issue so I can see if his solution will work for you.