Hard drive and RAM upgrade for powerbook g4

Posted by: thecokebadger

Hard drive and RAM upgrade for powerbook g4 - 08/07/08 01:22 PM

For the powerbook g4 Aluminum, i know that max spec for RAM is rated at 2gb. Will this work with just one stick of 2gb RAM or will each dimm slot only max out at 1gb. If i still a 2gb stick in there, will it not recognize it at all, or will it just read it as 1gb? Is there a performance difference from having 2 equally rated sticks of RAM, or does it not matter? I am aware of the type of RAM i need.

For hard drive replacement. Is there any limitations on size? If so, is the limitation the logic board, or the OS? I assume it's a PATA connection, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. Is there a website with a list of compatible HDDs or RAM for the powerbook? thank you.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Hard drive and RAM upgrade for powerbook g4 - 08/07/08 02:25 PM

Tricky ones. I have never tried a 2GB stick in a G4, but I have heard of oversized sticks working in Desktop G4s so there is a chance it will work. I would think the last of line 1.67GHz DL-SD model would be more likely to work since it uses the newer 5300 RAM, but I honestly don't know. You might find the answer on XLR8yourmac.com. Same applies to hard drive sizes. They'll be in the drive upgrade database. I suspect Alu PBs are all fine with bigger drives.

PBs should get no speed benefits from matched pairs of RAM. That one I CAN answer.
Posted by: thecokebadger

Re: Hard drive and RAM upgrade for powerbook g4 - 08/08/08 02:15 AM

Thanks for the link to XLR8yourmac.com. I forgot about that website. It answered my hard drive questions. There seems to be no limitation but the size of available 2.5" PATA drives. The ceiling seems to be 250gb.

RAM responses?
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Hard drive and RAM upgrade for powerbook g4 - 08/08/08 12:46 PM

The Hd limit where it exists is 128GB. Any Mac that can recognise a device over 128GB will recognise way more than is currently available. The largest 2.5" drives available are actually 500GB. If a 250GB works, so will the 500. They aren't any good in Intel notebooks apparently because they are physically thicker than smaller drives but you should be fine.

I'm actually going to say that 2GB chips will NOT work in PowerBooks since I imagine that alot of people would have done the same trick in G4 iBooks.
Posted by: TonimusMaximus

Re: Hard drive and RAM upgrade for powerbook g4 - 08/09/08 12:25 AM

I previously put this HD in my iBook, here's a link to the thread: http://www.macmod.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3123 I cannot say about the ram, because I'm currently using a 1gb stick.