Video card flashing

Posted by: iBookdude458

Video card flashing - 07/21/08 10:46 PM

hey guys I recently just got a Powermac G4 Quicksilver 733mhz for $50. Its got 1.25 gigs of ram and two 40 gig HDs ( I added a second one). The video card is nothing special and I wan the most jacked video card i can possibly load into it. I have found some G4 4x AGP card on ebay that are mac certified that will work but being a person that likes to mod stuff and a person who is going to be an engineer I figured I get me a PC video card and flash the ROM and make it work in my G4. after I get this G4 card I'm gonna get a Sonnet Tech ST G4 1.8ghz.

so what is the best PC 4x AGP card I can flash to work in my mac

Re: Video card flashing - 07/22/08 11:03 AM

how come no one has any answers for me here. come on what is this mad
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re: Video card flashing - 07/22/08 01:07 PM

If I knew, I would tell ya. I don't usually flash my video cards...
Posted by: 4JNA

Re: Video card flashing - 07/22/08 03:01 PM

HERE is the place to go for info on flashing.

Re: Video card flashing - 07/22/08 04:55 PM

yea, strangedogs is a great resource.

Re: Video card flashing - 07/23/08 08:47 AM

strangedogs has nothing right now because they are rebuilding so I checked out Barefeats.com and found some stuff that I can use.

Now it is between an ATI Radeon X800 XT 256MB AGP
or
a nVidia Geforce 7800 GS 256MB AGP

which one is better, I plan to Doom 3.

this card will be coupled with a CPU upgrade that is atleast 1.8Ghz

Re: Video card flashing - 07/23/08 11:58 AM

I have always been an ATI fan, but thats just me.
Posted by: Protocol6v

Re: Video card flashing - 07/23/08 01:10 PM

A 7800 GT would outperform any other AGP card you can flash to mac. Although, with cards like these, the bottle neck isn't the card but the machine. You would probably be wasting money if you put such a high end card in a QS. The Quicksilver just can't keep up.

Re: Video card flashing - 07/23/08 02:24 PM

well what should I put in dudes?
Posted by: dbculp

Re: Video card flashing - 01/01/09 10:32 AM

Try this site to get an idea of cards that would work:
http://themacelite.wikidot.com/compatibility
Then go to the "Downloads" section and you will see the Core/Memory Speeds and RAM size/type for each card.
I use GeForce 6200/256MB cards in most of my older Macs. It is a "mid-range" video card upgrade, not the most impressive card available, but they are inexpensive & easy to flash; they have QE supported and Core Image Hardware Accelerated. With a small GPU fan replacing the passive heatsink mine run at about 35 - 40 degrees (C).
Posted by: krusher117

Re: Video card flashing - 01/01/09 10:44 AM

when you flash a card to the mac will it perform just as well as it does on the PC? Do you ever run into any driver issues?
Posted by: Oelmuvun

Re: Video card flashing - 01/01/09 04:16 PM

So long as the speeds are set the same as the PC ROM then it should perform OK so long as there is no other significant hardware or software bottleneck.

The regular Apple drivers *should* work..
Posted by: dbculp

Re: Video card flashing - 01/01/09 06:10 PM

I have no problems with the flashed cards. Everything, including Sleep, seems to work. With G4 Macs running Leopard there is a boot delay (about 2 minutes) which has to do with the GeForce 6200's temperature sensor. If you want a faster boot you can disable the temp sensor in the card's ROM but I like to see the GPU temp.