Mini Wont power up

Posted by: owaring

Mini Wont power up - 02/24/08 04:18 PM

For an unknown reason my mini has stopped booting up,

I have tried 2 power supplies, and even metered them and all is good.

I have tried both methods of resetting the PMU (internal and external)

I have checked the internal 5a Fuse (its good!)

Short of looking for another logic board or even mini, i wondered if any body had any other ideas?

Many thanks
Posted by: BigO

Re: Mini Wont power up - 02/25/08 08:05 AM

Is it plugged in? >:D

Sorry, I couldn't resist. And no, I don't have any other ideas. You already tried what I would have suggested. But I've never owned a mini, so hopefully someone else on here knows more about it.
Posted by: flippy10

Re: Mini Wont power up - 02/25/08 10:13 AM

Well, I've never seen the inside of a Mini so bear with me. But is there an internal PW switch, or is it a wired one? I can't tell you how many times I've freaked with my PowerMac 500 before realizing I forgot to connect the front panel.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Mini Wont power up - 02/25/08 11:08 AM

The power button is connected via a two pin cable.

I would check the clock battery or failing that, pull it altogether.
Then try disconnecting everything from the board except RAM and testing. Don't run it without the fan for too long or it'll fry. I have seen other parts including the fan cause startup failure and other odd symptoms. You might also check the fan for obstructions. I had one where a loose screw got into the fan and jammed it completely. It wouldn't start. Or maybe it was randomly shutting down. I forget.

Re: Mini Wont power up - 03/08/08 05:10 PM

tried all of that now! guess its doa!

any other ideas out there? or shall i start a for sale thread (spares/repairs!!)

Re: Mini Wont power up - 04/30/08 01:17 PM

ok so i have had a friend open this bad boy up to try and find the problem.

he's finding a short on the power input section of the logic board

anyone know where i could find a schematic of the logic board to help his "investigation"?

Many thanks