Secret project X

Posted by: TCPMeta

Secret project X - 02/13/08 05:57 PM

I've been working on a build very slowly. It's even still on the drawing board. Thing is I need a theme and also hardware ideas that I have to yet think of/about yet.

I won't disclose the main puzzle of the project but I will enclose a few things that will be used.

Fiberglass
paint
highend audio
sheet metal
fans
water
Posted by: whitlock

Re: Secret project X - 02/14/08 01:59 PM

Hmmm...themes...
- The rape of the Sabine women
- If MC Hammer made it, it would look like...
- Sisebut succedding Gundemar as king of the Visigoths
- Water Polo
- The Olympics
- The Lee-Boot effect
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re: Secret project X - 02/14/08 06:02 PM

The Mac Midi :P
Posted by: JediJoker7169

Re: Secret project X - 02/16/08 12:49 AM

Xamp
Posted by: anil8tor

Re: Secret project X - 02/17/08 08:42 AM

To follow Whitlock's lead...

Star Wars
Star Trek
Star-craft
A star is borne
The Borne Identity
Born Free
Free Bird
Bird on a wire
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Nestles' chocolate....

I think I'll go get a hot coco... ;D

Re: Secret project X - 02/17/08 08:15 PM

I'm going to call it Mac Runner (as in Blade Runner).

Re: Secret project X - 02/25/08 02:55 PM

I have been hard at work on this. I have placed together a DIY water cooling kit. All you need is a water block and the rest can be bought at home depot and a auto part store.

I'm also working on a LED matrix for the project. It's a copy of the 5.25 LED Matrix for PC but with some work it can be ported to a mac.

Next payday i'm going to start on the case and start from there.

Re: Secret project X - 02/27/08 04:48 AM

Has anyone tried using a WiiMote on their macs yet? Since my system doesn't have a remote I was thinking about using my extra WiiMote controller.
Posted by: soundmann18

Re: Secret project X - 02/27/08 10:26 AM

I haven't, but lots of hits on google for wiimote mac

http://www.everythingusb.com/wiimote.html

Re: Secret project X - 02/27/08 01:58 PM

Hmm, doesn't seem right. Plugging in IR leds into a USB cable doesn't work. If it does then i'm a monkey's uncle and everyone that I know that has built remote systems for the PCs will be pissed.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Secret project X - 02/27/08 03:52 PM

Apple's IR receiver is USB. Plug and Play with Leopard.
Posted by: flippy10

Re: Secret project X - 02/27/08 04:00 PM

I'm building an iBook version of this right now.
The sensor bar itself, is just an array of LEDs constantly emitting IR according to the websites I've visited. And I'm using a USB Media Center receiver that I'm butchering for compatibility with the Apple Remote. The Remote (or rather software controlling it) determines is orientation via the accelerometers and it's trajectory according to the IR LEDs. So bluetooth sync is more important here rather than IR sync.

Re: Secret project X - 02/27/08 06:33 PM

I tried using my logitech wireless adapter and it works fine with the wiimote.

I started on the case. I'm glade I bought a sawzal last year, came in real handy for the butchering part. Now to buy some brackets and sheet metal.

Re: Secret project X - 02/29/08 04:17 PM

From digging around and finding all kinda of neat things to use the wiimote for I got a nifty idea by having two gloves and go completely hands free. Yet theres the matter of the keyboard. Any voice rec programs for OSx?

Re: Secret project X - 03/06/08 04:51 AM

I'm tossing a iMac into the project. So this system will house two computers.

I have gotten the case 90% completed, just needs paint to finish it. The main system motherboard is acting strange so I might buy another sawtooth off of ebay.
The LED matrix display is almost done and the power supply is ready for rewiring.

The reason why i'm adding the iMac is because I thought it would be neat and also it can be used as a file server, light game hosting (IE Quake series and Enemy Territory).

Re: Secret project X - 03/09/08 05:53 PM

iMac is dead. I havn't messed with it for about a year and I plugged it up to check everything out and it's a goner. Back to one system.