g5 video card upgrade, i'm confused

Posted by: stoli

g5 video card upgrade, i'm confused - 11/07/07 04:36 PM

what would be the most powerful video/graphics card i could put in my dual 2.0 g5. it's pci-x and right now i have a ati radeon 128 mb r350 9800. with the millions of graphics/video cards available what is the most powerful option that is compatible. i'm using this to edit video and eventually hd. i have a 24" AL2416W acer 16:9 hd monitor. and in 2 days 8gb of ram. i will eventually get the max connect internal raid. and maybe a kona card. anyways, i'm confused about the video cards. any info would be great.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: g5 video card upgrade, i'm confused - 11/08/07 01:10 AM

Best ones Apple shipped were the GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL and the Radeon X1900 I think. I have no idea about aftermarket cards. Or maybe you could look into getting a flashed 7800.
Posted by: zenstate

Re: g5 video card upgrade, i'm confused - 11/08/07 08:27 PM

This one would give you a very noticeable boost in performance but its a bit costly:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/ATI%20Technologies/100435338/
Posted by: maestro

Re: g5 video card upgrade, i'm confused - 11/09/07 08:16 AM

7800gs flashed with Mac rom.

Re: g5 video card upgrade, i'm confused - 11/21/07 08:52 PM

i'm back, after much research, seems the ati x800xt's currently being shipped are all defective, maybe not all but the apple support forums are filled with people discussing this, i'm no looking at maybe doing the flashing of a different card. kinda sucks how everything is so easily expandable except the graphics card. wheres some good info on flashing a card and are there any other options? i'd just throw done the money for the x800 but i don't want to go through 3 bad ones to get a good one and i was hoping for one even better than that one.

Re: g5 video card upgrade, i'm confused - 11/21/07 11:01 PM

so to repeat maestro the card to flash is the 7800gs, it is a slight improvement over the x800. so which is the best option, a $350 ati card that may be completely defective and a pain in the ass, or the nividia card which is cheaper and has the potential of being better/faster but you have to find away to get it flashed. yes there are websites for this, but it seems to be an option for people who are a bit more knowledgeable than i.

Re: g5 video card upgrade, i'm confused - 11/21/07 11:05 PM

the real info is right here, thanks to someone on the apple support forums
http://www.barefeats.com/mutant3a.html