VRAM

Posted by: nerija

VRAM - 07/30/07 10:09 AM

hey! could anybody tell me is it possible to upgrade VRAM from 32 to 64 in Apple iBook g4? ::)
Posted by: maestro

Re: VRAM - 07/30/07 11:20 AM

No its not.  Sorry.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: VRAM - 07/30/07 02:46 PM

VRAM is built into the logic board.
Posted by: zenstate

Re: VRAM - 07/30/07 05:16 PM

Can't be done..  sorry.
Posted by: mordaskyt

Re: VRAM - 07/30/07 05:57 PM

You are talking crazy Japanese basement engineer hard to do, may not even be possible at all, Daystar (clever monkeys who solder new processors onto powerbook logic boards) tried it on a Pismo and couldn't do it.

Re: VRAM - 07/30/07 06:58 PM

Theres more to soldering chips. You have to edit the video's firmware to see the extra ram. Too bad with all of the neat kernel add-ons over the years that some one hasn't made a kernel module to make the system use shared memory for video.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: VRAM - 07/31/07 01:10 AM

I suspect sharing system emory would also require flashing the GPU firmware. Nice idea though.....
Posted by: maestro

Re: VRAM - 08/03/07 12:35 PM

The reason chips are so hard to solder on is because they are not soldered at all.  What I mean is that the entire board is heated before chips are added.  This is all done by machine which is much better at stuff like that than stubby handed humans.

Re: VRAM - 08/03/07 07:18 PM

A human sets most of the components onto a PCB board. The PCB board goes over molted solder just low enough for the connection points for the components. Then a robot like hand puts the components like microchips and stuff that would be a real pain for a human to do on the PCB board and puts it into a oven so the solder to re-melt enough to grab the components. I saw this on How It's Made on the discovery channel lol.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: VRAM - 08/04/07 04:52 AM

I unsoldered the VRAM from a G3 iBook the other day. I was trying to reflow the GPU package, but nevermind.

Totally melted the GPUs BGA PCB. When I pulled off the VRAM, the solder balls had run into each other in lots of places. I guuess I could clean it up and attempt to re-attach, but like I say I melted the PCB the whole GPU setup was mounted on. You can see it sagging in the middle. Thats what happens when you are impatient.

I have a pile of these things with dead video. Took me three attempts to learn to be patient enough, but I have got one working now......
Posted by: black milk

Re: VRAM - 10/03/07 06:44 PM

so hows it been going? any update?

perhays any pics? ;D

i'd be soo intrigued coz i'm actually looking to do the same thing for my TiPB 1Ghz....
perhaps replace the ATI Radeon 9000 with the newer 9700 found in the Al Powerbooks with 128 MB... it should work no?

Re: VRAM - 10/04/07 08:07 PM

I'm telling you it won't work and if it does it won't work correctly. I tried this once before with a laptop by switching out the GeForce2 with a GeForce3 and everything lined up and connected right but the firmware didn't like it even though I flashed it to use the nVidia GeForce3 firmware but the firmware in the BIOS was fighting back and made everything look neonish and windows only saw the video as a generic P&P video card. That was with just a GPU switch.

You have a 50 50 chance with the memory but chances are it won't see past what it already has.