Any precautions to B&W to G4 conversion?

Posted by: Bobdude161

Any precautions to B&W to G4 conversion? - 05/05/07 11:10 PM

I have a 350 Mhz B&W G3 fully operational, and a 450 Mhz G4 processor.  All I need now is a Sawtooth motherboard, right?.  I know there is probably a ton of of info about this, but the search on this forum is kinda shoddy (like oh so many other forums).

Could someone probably give a few quick links?  I'd hate for yall to repeat yourselves. 
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: Any precautions to B&W to G4 conversion? - 05/06/07 01:17 AM

Ebay is your best bet on getting a sawtooth logicboard. Everything else in the B&W in compatible so you don't need to worry about getting new memory and such.

As for the case there might be a few logicboard mounts that won't match up but it's a easy fix. Just use electrical tape to cover up the miss matched mounts. If you want to be hardcore about it you can drill or grind off the old mounts and buy new mounts from allelectronics.com

You might want to invest into a AGP video card sooner or later but if you're not planing to use the system for high end graphics then you don't have to worry.
Posted by: mordaskyt

Re: Any precautions to B&W to G4 conversion? - 05/10/07 09:26 AM

You need the sawtooth logic board as well as the front power panel, either an original from another sawtooth or wire your own but the B&W one will not work. Only one or two of the MB standoffs don't line up. Also the rear ports are not the same, just leave the bezel off or make your own from some scrap material. This mod is not to difficult to pull off.

Re: Any precautions to B&W to G4 conversion? - 05/15/07 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By: "mordaskyt "

You need the sawtooth logic board as well as the front power panel, either an original from another sawtooth or wire your own but the B&W one will not work. Only one or two of the MB standoffs don't line up. Also the rear ports are not the same, just leave the bezel off or make your own from some scrap material. This mod is not to difficult to pull off.

lol i was about to say this.  I put the logic board in and then found out about that front panel.  :-[  Grrr.  I guess I'll wait another week to get that panel shipped from eBay.  And on that rear bezel I just used the old B&W one and cut the necessary holes.  Thanks for help!
Posted by: modyourmac

Re: Any precautions to B&W to G4 conversion? - 05/15/07 09:27 AM

Also figure that you'd need the right jumper settings for the processor jumper. If you're dealing with B&W's and first gen G4's, they had a Jumper block on the logic board, which determined the speed of the unit. If you have it set incorrectly, you get plenty of fun boot issues.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Any precautions to B&W to G4 conversion? - 05/15/07 11:16 AM

You can substitute the jumper block for laptop hard drive jumpers, just look up the right pins to jumper.
Posted by: whitlock

Re: Any precautions to B&W to G4 conversion? - 05/15/07 02:36 PM

I know this sounds bad, but I actually used staples at one point as jumpers on the old B&W.  This doesn't really add much to the conversation, though...
Posted by: modyourmac

Re: Any precautions to B&W to G4 conversion? - 05/15/07 02:39 PM

no, but it makes me wonder what you'd have used, if you hadnt had staples.

And no, I will not accept, "A hamster wrapped in tin foil." It has to at least be a gerbil.
Posted by: whitlock

Re: Any precautions to B&W to G4 conversion? - 05/15/07 02:53 PM

Gerbils have better uses...

Re: Any precautions to B&W to G4 conversion? - 05/15/07 04:30 PM

I used staples in my first B&W overclock. Then I found out you could remove the jumpers from the block and switch them around with a small jewel flathead screwdriver and a pair of tweazers

Re: Any precautions to B&W to G4 conversion? - 05/17/07 09:19 PM

crap.  I've run into a dilemma.  My power button board arrived but it doesn't have the fuse on the back of it!!  The plastic holder for it is missing as well.  mad 

I used my other Sawtooth's power button board and the B&W G4 booted up but the start up chime stuttered and it still does it everytime I turn it on.  ?:-( 

So a few questions come to mind.  Can I just bypass the fuse and just solder a straight wire or should I just get my money back? 

What's up with the stuttering chime?  Does it need more power?  The PSU puts out 200 Watts max.  While the Sawtooth puts out 208 max.  Does it really need that 8 extra watts?  It runs fine after the boot, I'm just concerened, it sounds like it's sick. 

Re: Any precautions to B&W to G4 conversion? - 05/17/07 09:29 PM

scratch that stuttering.  It seems the logic board I bought has a bad memory slot.  Ah well.  I only need two.

Re: Any precautions to B&W to G4 conversion? - 05/18/07 05:39 PM

Posted by: zenstate

Re: Any precautions to B&W to G4 conversion? - 05/18/07 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: "Bobdude161 "

I have a 350 Mhz B&W G3 fully operational, and a 450 Mhz G4 processor.  All I need now is a Sawtooth motherboard, right?.  I know there is probably a ton of of info about this, but the search on this forum is kinda shoddy (like oh so many other forums).

Could someone probably give a few quick links?  I'd hate for yall to repeat yourselves. 

I am not speaking against you at all here..  just making an observation

you are asking about stuff I found lots of info on in a simple 2-3 sec google search and then you insult the search of our beloved macmod. 

seems you just want others to do a google search for you.

anyway, good luck in your quest