A couple of questions related to my B&W 300

Posted by: kickassimacg5

A couple of questions related to my B&W 300 - 04/24/07 02:31 PM

Hi, My almost stock B&W 300 is getting kinda slow on me in Panther and is Kernel Panicking on me when I don't use it after a while. It's got 256mb ram, a 6GB hd with another one in the case which is not plugged in (I don't know how big it is) and a Pioneer DVD-rom drive I got out of my old PC. Can you please help me diagnose the problem? My other question is relating to CPU upgrades to it. Should I get a Yikes! chip, an aftermarket Sonnet chip or a mobo out of a G4 or if it can fit, a G5? Can you please help me? Thanks
Posted by: rhythmsickness

Re: A couple of questions related to my B&W 300 - 04/24/07 02:53 PM

I'd go with a cheap G4 motherboard and processor, look at ebay, they're very cheap now. 
The reason I think for your kernel panics is probably due to the low amount of ram you have in the G3. I think 512mb is the minimum recommended.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: A couple of questions related to my B&W 300 - 04/24/07 06:26 PM

Get a sawtooth logic board and a sonnet CPU and pop in at lest 512 or go ahead and pump in 1GB.

For the kernel to panic when the system hasn't been used in a while is kinda weird, might have some software issues or something. Now if you got a kernel panic every time then yes it's due to low memory. You could try and reset the PRAM and see what happens.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: A couple of questions related to my B&W 300 - 04/25/07 01:10 AM

256MB is not so low on Panther. Minimum was 128MB back then, but 512MB+ is still recommended. As for Kernel panics, it could be low RAM, bad RAM, a software issue, or some other hardware problem. TCP is spot on about a G4 board and CPU. I suppose you might get a G5 from an iMac, but you would need most of the rest of it too. A PowerMac G5 is out of the question, and probably too pricey at the moment. They are all falling out of warranty at the moment so the market for spares at non-Apple prices is going to be fairly strong for a while. Which means parts will be just below Apple price.

Just get as much RAM as you can for whatever you end up with, and a bigger HD might make the thing alot more useful. Depends what you want to do with it really.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: A couple of questions related to my B&W 300 - 04/25/07 04:12 AM

You could always O/C the B&W and toss in a bit more memory if you don't want to spend much. I got a B&W O/Ced to 350MHz and 768MB of ram with Tiger running. Runs just fine but kinda slow with a few programs.