G4 water cooling

Posted by: tjw7676

G4 water cooling - 01/30/07 06:29 PM

I recently moved a Sawtooth G4 to PC ATX (coolermaster) case to cut down the heat and noise of the old case.  This involved replacing the original power supply fan with a quieter fan and installing front and rear 120mm fans.  I have a 1.6ghz G4 from Giga Designs with stock fans on heatsink, those fans combined with the two 120mm fans made this case mod noisy.  So I decided to water cool my system.  While looking I came upon this http://www.xoxide.com/thermaltake-silentwater-lcs.html which is the Thermaltake silent all in one water-cooling system.  The brackets included allowed me to secure to my processor without any modifications and installation was easy.  I took out both 120mm fans, front and rear, with the water-cooling radiator and fan placed in the rear 120mm slot.  It is much quieter now, and super cool!  It took me 20 minutes in all, and it works like a charm.  Cheapest solution for mac water-cooling.  Can't post pics since I donít have digital camera.  Just wanted to let everyone know this is the cheapest and best solution for mac water-cooling if you have a G4 in ATX case.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: G4 water cooling - 01/31/07 04:28 AM

that's pretty neat but theres a better way. evercool has a water cooler that runs just under 100 bucks and sits in a empty drive bay. the setup uses two raditors and can cool the CPU plus a GPU or harddrive. Uses two 80mm fans with fan controls so you can control the airflow. Right now I have one in my gaming PC and its keeping my AMD Athlon 64 2800+ that is highly overclocked at a nice 69.8*F. Soon I'm going to invest in another one for my G4.

So how are you going to mount the waterblock to the CPU?

Re: G4 water cooling - 01/31/07 04:38 PM

The brackets provided with the kit allowed for it to fit on the cpu card without to much trouble.  The holes line up pretty close with the holes used to mount the Giga Designs fan, so you can just use the provided brackets to do this.  The water block does not sit completely centered on the CPU, but the whole top of the chip does sit on the block.  Before doing this mod the computer use to crash all the time, but this water cooling appears to have solved this!  So, I just lined up the brackets with the provided wholes, them use threaded bolts with nuts to secure to card.  Took me 20 minutes to do the whole thing, from fan/radiator installation to water block mounting.  This system was also good for me since I don't plan on water cooling the GPU.  Here is the case I used to do this http://www.compusa.com/products/product_..._micro_ATX_Case    .  Thanks for the info
Posted by: vaguelyclear

Re: G4 water cooling - 02/01/07 08:30 AM

I'm curious to know what design you had from Giga. I assume it looked like this one:
http://www.smalldog.com/product/35547

I have a Mercury Extreme from OWC:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MEG42M1500/

I think the fans are making my Digital Audio a bit loud, and I was thinking perhaps this Thermaltake would fit nicely, as the design of the two cards look very similar. Do you have any pictures? Also, I'm not very excited about the prospect of switching cases. Do you suppose there is somewhere else I could mount the assembly in my case?

Re: G4 water cooling - 02/01/07 04:50 PM

The cards look exactly the same to me, including the fans and heatsink, so the water block should fit with provided brackets.  I don't think you could put this unit inside a G4 tower, but it wouldn't hurt to try.  Putting my sawtooth inside the PC case was easy, the hardest part was drilling the mounting holes , and lining up the Video card slot and PCI slots.  I have to cut out one piece of metal, then I was good to go.  The Power Supply fit perfectly in the provided space with no modification.  The case conversion in my mind is worth it, go from 3 fans (1 120mm + 2 noisy smaller ones on CPU) to 120mm adjustable fan is a huge noise improvement.  For the G4 case the only place that might be able to hold the Radiator and fan would be underneath the Zip Drive and Power supply, all you would have to do is remove the 120mm fan and associated metal bracket.  Just my two cents.

Re: G4 water cooling - 02/01/07 11:02 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I'd love two get those new-years-eve noisemakers off of my processor card.
Posted by: maestro

Re: G4 water cooling - 02/02/07 03:43 PM

Tiny fans=low air flow.  Most of the G4 upgrades have tiny, fast fans.  Take em off!  Of course you need a replacement, which, yeah could be h20, but its REALLY not necessary.  Many designs will fit an 80mm fan.  My choices are a Sharkoon Silent Eagle 80mm or a Panaflo L model 80mm.  Sharkoons kick ass as they are sooo quiet but still put a ton of airflow out (most quiet fans blow, pardon the pun).  Panaflos are quiet, very reliable and cost less.

Re: G4 water cooling - 02/02/07 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: "maestro "

Tiny fans=low air flow.  Most of the G4 upgrades have tiny, fast fans.  Take em off!  Of course you need a replacement, which, yeah could be h20, but its REALLY not necessary.  Many designs will fit an 80mm fan.  My choices are a Sharkoon Silent Eagle 80mm or a Panaflo L model 80mm.  Sharkoons kick ass as they are sooo quiet but still put a ton of airflow out (most quiet fans blow, pardon the pun).  Panaflos are quiet, very reliable and cost less.

Sweet. I really do like my G4 case, so I think I'll go the fan route. Do you think it would be difficult to put either one of those onto a Mercury Extreme heat sync? I guess I wouldn't know where to make new "holes" (or spaces between the fins?) for the new fan. Also, I would be concerned that the power would not adapt. Most fans that I know of run off the same connection as a hard drive. The two small ones on my heat sync are plugged into the processor card with smaller connections. Would it be an issue to just use a spare connection from the power supply rather than the one from the card?

Man, I haven't dealt with processor fans since Socket 7 was cool (K62 ftw!). I'm out of touch!

Re: G4 water cooling - 02/03/07 05:54 AM

The heat sink looks small. Can't you re use the old heatsink? Or is the CPU placement on the board in a diffrent spot?

Re: G4 water cooling - 02/03/07 11:31 AM

Originally Posted By: "TCPMeta "

The heat sink looks small. Can't you re use the old heatsink? Or is the CPU placement on the board in a diffrent spot?

Yes, I was planning on using the old heatsink. I just don't think the orgininal screw holes (for the smaller fans) will work for the bigger one.

I'm really liking the Sharkoon Silent Eagle, but it's really hard to find. These seem to be the only two places where you can get one:

http://www.xoxide.com/sharkoon-silent-eagle-2000.html
http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=5661

Anybody done business with either company before?

Edit: By the way, tjw7676, I kinda hijacked your thread. Sorry about that.

Re: G4 water cooling - 02/03/07 01:35 PM

I usually just screw into the heatsink fins, that should be okay.  You could also make a plate that attaches to the smaller fans holes then connects to the new fan.  As for the power connector, you can get a molex to 3pin adapter for a full 12volts or run it off of a pci slot fan controller (which I suggest).

I buy Sharkoons from http://www.performance-pcs.com.  I have spoken to the owner and really like that store...its my new place to buy mod stuff.

The other two places are ok too, I have ordered from both.

Re: G4 water cooling - 02/03/07 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: "maestro "

I usually just screw into the heatsink fins, that should be okay.  You could also make a plate that attaches to the smaller fans holes then connects to the new fan.  As for the power connector, you can get a molex to 3pin adapter for a full 12volts or run it off of a pci slot fan controller (which I suggest).

I buy Sharkoons from http://www.performance-pcs.com.  I have spoken to the owner and really like that store...its my new place to buy mod stuff.

The other two places are ok too, I have ordered from both.

Neato, thanks! I presume you're talking about this pci slot fan control:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/i...products_id=494

That's probably a good idea.

Re: G4 water cooling - 02/03/07 07:27 PM

Yep, that is the one.  One thing I forgot to mention is that Performance-pcs sleeves pretty much everything they sell.  Even if you find lower prices elsewhere, having the sleeving done is a great time saver and they are pros.  Good luck with your mod and be sure to post some pics.
Posted by: Bakaruku

Re: G4 water cooling - 02/05/07 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: "tjw7676 "

The brackets provided with the kit allowed for it to fit on the cpu card without to much trouble.  The holes line up pretty close with the holes used to mount the Giga Designs fan, so you can just use the provided brackets to do this. 

There is 4 brackets (k7 type, k8 type, LGA775 and P4 478). Which one have you used? Just to make sure the waterblock i'd like will fit.

Re: G4 water cooling - 02/05/07 06:08 PM

None of them. The brackets are junk. Heres how I would do it.

Four long screws though the bottom of the logicboard plastic spacers on the screws between the logicboard and the CPU card. More plastic spacers ontop of the CPU card on the screws to the same height as the water block. Then use Pexi-glass or a metal plate to go on top of the water block and tighten some wingnuts on the screws. Or instead of plastic spacers some rubber spacers would work better.

Re: G4 water cooling - 02/06/07 02:30 PM

I thought about that... That would comme pretty handy to make my own bracket since this would enable me to fully center the waterblock on the cpu for maximum performance. Futhermore, i have the blueprint for the heatsink, so exact measurement shoudn't be a problem for a custom made bracket.

Now, i just need to find a not too ugly case and select my watercooling equipement.

Re: G4 water cooling - 02/06/07 05:01 PM

Be careful on selecting the equipment. Make sure it's enough for what you need.

Re: G4 water cooling - 02/06/07 08:07 PM

Pretty much any kit will be able to deal with the heat produced by G4s, even duals.  I used an Asestek kit with 120mm rad on a dual 1.25 OC to 1.42 and it wasn't any better at cooling than the copper Apple heatsink.  It was louder too.  As its not a necessity, I recommend a small kit (or similar parts).  But if you got the dough to go overboard, why not?!

And for your bracket, use springs between the block and the retention nuts.  Thats the best way to get a solid contact patch with out any spacing or overdoing it and damaging the cpu (which I have done, but not before OCing the hell out of it!) >:D

Re: G4 water cooling - 02/07/07 10:01 AM

It's true i don't need a super porwerful cooling system. The G4 cpu is about 30-35 watts max at full load. Don't know about my ati radeon 9880 pro thought...  Anyway, it's nothing compared to those 100W pc CPU out there i sometime hear about + the latest graphic card.

Was thinking about using a swiftech Apogee and a swiftech MCW60... Already have a pump i could use until i get more money for a better quieter one. I'm left with the choice for the radiator.... any suggestion?

Re: G4 water cooling - 02/07/07 05:19 PM

As far as brackets go there are several brackets included in the kit, but I just used the I-shaped bracket provided.  I placed that on the copper water block, then I placed a plastic piece included that matched the I-shaped bracket and placed it on the bottom of the CPU.  I then put the four bolts in from the bottom up, so the nuts would be at the top to tighten.  If you have the ability to make your own brackets, I would go ahead, but it is possible to mount with the universal I-shaped bracket included with the kit.  The cpu is not centered on the water block this way, but the whole top surface is in contact with the bottom of the water block.  It is really isn't necessary for the cpu to be centered anyway, since it will still get water cooled just fine.  The only hard part of making sure the water block stays flat on the cpu.  Just to clarify, you can get this get from zipzoomfly.com for cheaper that what I posted above.  Hope this helps, thanks.