Front Row With Apple Remote on MDD G4

Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Front Row With Apple Remote on MDD G4 - 04/05/06 04:04 PM

Sorry to dedicate a second thread, but I figure a few people who might be interested would miss the other one due to the obscure title.

If you can get the IR receiver from a Front Row Mac, and you have a surplus USB cable to hand, you can do this very easily.

http://homepage.mac.com/waragainstsleep/PhotoAlbum2.html

http://homepage.mac.com/waragainstsleep/iMovieTheater3.html

Video is poor quality. I will try to get something better up soon.
Posted by: Anonymous

Front Row With Apple Remote on MDD G4 - 04/09/06 12:42 AM

Lol... my friend and I found this out pretty early on as soon as front row came out-
If you have access to gsx ordering, purchasing the camera/ir harness and the from a g5 imac 17" or 20" will do just fine for easy incorporation into systems for internal/external use.
The 17" has a smaller board, which is helpful for laptop mods FYI.

I have been adding bt, ir, and internal usb hub to old ibooks using this method.

Hack and slash soldering directly to the ir boards works, and was used in my first 2 prototype "ir nubs" for external use, but it's messy.

Also, if you plan for full support, make sure to get a copy of apple rcd or only front row will be supported and not universal system integration.

Currently workign on a hid driver for supporting apple ir receiver on windows xp (apple hardware or non) because my primary pc is using mostly repainted apple accessories, and it wouldn't hurt to house one of my 10-odd spare recievers and bluetooth boards before i get my case vinyl cut.

Front Row With Apple Remote on MDD G4 - 04/09/06 07:16 AM

Surely Apple will have an IR driver for XP soon anyway?
My iSight is on the way smile
Have you tried the iSight on USB 1.1? I want to install it on my old PowerBook G3, and I'm not thrilled about having to rely on a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card.
Posted by: iProd

Front Row With Apple Remote on MDD G4 - 04/09/06 02:27 PM

I suddenly realised I haven't seen where the IR receiver is on the iMacs. Where is it?

Front Row With Apple Remote on MDD G4 - 04/09/06 11:40 PM

Its behind the Apple logo beneath the screen.
Posted by: Anonymous

Front Row With Apple Remote on MDD G4 - 04/10/06 02:24 AM

Regarding isight... I used to run mine on my 500mhz ibook.. either way, it's a firewire cam- if all you need is capture support, it's great, but video conferencing, etc, does badly on older machines as it relies on cpu/gpu to get the video to the screen, resize, encode, etc etc, not jsut handle like normal dv.