mac mini intel Watercooled

Posted by: blackdragon

mac mini intel Watercooled - 03/07/06 02:19 PM

Just got the new mini and im looking at upgrading it and as well as Watercooling it. a koolance unit is too big. iv used koolance on my gaming rig but on the mini.. too big. Does anyone have ideas on this?. cooling blocks ect ect.
Posted by: maestro

mac mini intel Watercooled - 03/07/06 02:53 PM

You will need to move the dvdr outside the case first of all. Then any block should fit. I am unsure, but an Intel block may bolt into the four holes located there. As there are no molex connectors to tell the h20 system that the mini is on, you will need to mod it so that the system runs when you turn on the Mini. I suggest a 120v system of course. The Aquagate I just reviewed would be ideal here with some modifications. Its pcb board will fit in there with the dvdr removed. Good luck and be sure to keep us posted!
Posted by: JediJoker7169

mac mini intel Watercooled - 03/07/06 04:34 PM

It's case fabricating time! Show it off in a nice acrylic case with some LED lighting. You could then get a better tray-loading optical drive, larger 3.5" hard drive(s), and cool anything you wanted to. Or, alternatively, you could house it in a full- or micro-ATX case, maybe even a G4 or G5 one, with the same benefits! Personally, I'd go for the latter.

Smaller is beter - 03/07/06 05:28 PM

I think im going to custom make a cooler to fit in without removing the dvdr drive. and im going to keep the orignal case. i still want this small and portable.
Posted by: JediJoker7169

Remove The Fan - 03/07/06 10:33 PM

You'll probably have to remove the fan, which may cause problems. I'd try removing the fan without adding watercooling first and see what it does to your system. If it causes problems outside of the processor temp, you may want to reconsider.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

mac mini intel Watercooled - 03/07/06 11:42 PM

Nice idea, but I have to ask why you want to watercool it. If you can drop a 2.16 in there without extra cooling, what do you hope to gain?
Posted by: maestro

mac mini intel Watercooled - 03/08/06 06:02 AM

Fitting a block in there with everything still in it will be tough. You will have the block, mounting system, and tubes to worry about. I honestly dont think that will fit with the optical drive in it. The fan needs to stay to cool the other components or at least another fan installed.

Watercool everything - 03/08/06 08:34 AM

Who says i couldent watercool everything. as to why i want to. Well because i can(or can try) and when i run my mini with the 2.16 processor it over heats in my hot room. I want to beable to run this system without running into that problem. I was thinking i could run the internals of the coolant system in that device bottom for the mini. anybody know what im talking about? i think it was a external hard drive that the mini sat ontop of. i could gut that and put the various parts into that. might have to tweek it here and there. maby a extention il see.

mac mini intel Watercooled - 03/08/06 12:13 PM

Its a very nice idea, but personally, I would think twice before voiding the warranty on any Apple kit any more. But Certainly not so soon on a piece of rev1 hardware. Computers aren't built like they used to be.
Still, if you're not bothered, go for it!
Posted by: shadowboxer47

mac mini intel Watercooled - 03/08/06 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: "blackdragon"
Who says i couldent watercool everything. as to why i want to. Well because i can(or can try) and when i run my mini with the 2.16 processor it over heats in my hot room. I want to beable to run this system without running into that problem. I was thinking i could run the internals of the coolant system in that device bottom for the mini. anybody know what im talking about? i think it was a external hard drive that the mini sat ontop of. i could gut that and put the various parts into that. might have to tweek it here and there. maby a extention il see.

Sounds great. I certainly wont' discourage you. I'm working on a water-cooled system myself. However, considering the size of the case and the limited power supply, you will not be able to liquid cool this in the stock case. There are many smaller form factors (i.e., miniatx) you can choose, but you're simply not going to fit a radiator, fan, pump, block, tubing and possible reservoir in that stock system. The tubing by itself won't have enough room. You're going to have to use a different case. If you don't believe me, look at the detailed specs of both AIO and separate components to see for yourself.

If you want to keep the same form factor and use an extension, that may work. If you're going to do a serious job on this, which I always recommend when somebody is liquid cooling his or her system, I suggest Danger Den. Purchase all your parts or the AIO kit first, that way you'll need the exact size you'll need.

And, of course, you'll have to submit a guide and o/c the thing when you're donewink

mac mini intel Watercooled - 03/08/06 01:30 PM

Has anyone heard of an Intel Mac being OC'ed yet? I've seen the chip swaps, but not an actual OC.

Oc intel - 03/09/06 09:55 AM

Iv heard of them overclocked but in the mini iv heard of heating issues (big supprise). And do the mini watercooled mod. i could run hard copper lines but smaller ones and run the pumps at a faster speed to compensate. if i run smaller lines i should beable to get away with running a low profile cooler for the processor and chipset cooler and a harddrive cooler.