Hard Drive Cooling

Posted by: Yeldarb

Hard Drive Cooling - 02/14/06 12:14 PM

So I got a Maxtor Ultra 300gb hard drive for my eMac 1.25 and I am a little worried about heat. I know nothing about fan voltage and I am not sure if there is room in there for a hard drive fan. I saw that Zalman makes a hard drive heat pipe cooler that uses no fan. I am looking for a little advice and/or direction on the most efficient method of cooling off my drive. I plan on adding 2gb of ram and a DVD-RW in the near future so I need some sort of extra cooling. Thanks.
Posted by: krusher117

Hard Drive Cooling - 02/14/06 12:17 PM

if you have the room for it, the zalman heat pipes are an effective cooling solution
Posted by: oojacoboo

Hard Drive Cooling - 02/14/06 03:14 PM

yep, go for the Zalman if you can make it fit. You may have to mod the case a little.
Posted by: maestro

Hard Drive Cooling - 02/14/06 06:12 PM

The Zalman will drop it a degree or two but it does that the same space as a 5.25 drive. I have used it before and it looks bad ass. It does cool it down and quiets the drive too. You may be better off fitting a small (40-60mm) fan under it.

Hard Drive Cooling - 02/14/06 07:51 PM

Well I am not very savy on fan voltage so I am not sure what would be compatible with the stock power supply. Also, has anyone heard of someone replacing the existing fan with a better one? I am looking at the hard drive chassis and I'm not sure if the Zalman cooler would fit in there.
Posted by: oojacoboo

Hard Drive Cooling - 02/14/06 09:20 PM

people replace existing fans with upgraded ones all the time.

Hard Drive Cooling - 02/14/06 09:40 PM

I'm aware of that... but in an emac?
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Hard Drive Cooling - 02/15/06 09:49 AM

Originally Posted By: "Yeldarb"
I'm aware of that... but in an emac?

Most definitely.

When there is a Mac, there is a way!

Hard Drive Cooling - 02/15/06 03:27 PM

Changing the fan is simple. Remove the old fan, take measurement, order new fan (I suggest Panaflo), install new fan in place of old fan. Also, the PS should be fine with a smaller fan attached to it. There are several thin models that are smaller in diameter. Go to http://www.newegg.com and look under EverCool. They make many smaller sizes that would be perfect. Fans dont use much energy at all, especially the small ones.

If you need a take a part for your eMac, check out our link to http://www.whoopis.com/computer_repair/.

Be sure to post what and how it works out. If you have more questions, feel free to ask.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Hard Drive Cooling - 02/16/06 12:06 PM

Use a pletter to cool the drive. They're slimenough to fit in small cramped areas.

Hard Drive Cooling - 02/16/06 01:33 PM

TCP, I assume you mean peltier. There are thin, but need to be cooled also, which would defeat the slimness of it. I suggest for someone new to modding, an extra fan is the way to go.