Water cooling a G4

Posted by: TCPMeta

Water cooling a G4 - 01/19/06 06:13 PM

Well I have started to search for a water cooling kit for the sawtooth. Heres a kit that seems alright.

http://www.overcool.com/Exec/product.asp...322&redir=1

http://www.overcool.com/Exec/product.asp?userid=91336934879322&item_id=34861
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:Water cooling a G4 - 01/19/06 09:15 PM

They both sound good so I can see your problem. Personally, all in one kits are not my thing. I like to individually pick out what parts I want. This way tends to be more expensive...

but hey, to each his own!
Posted by: destructospin

Re:Water cooling a G4 - 01/19/06 09:20 PM

you can get the kingwin for $89@newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835124005
i think im gonna get two of those
one cpu, one video card
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re:Water cooling a G4 - 01/20/06 05:15 AM

No need for two kits because two water blocks comes with that kit for the CPU and video.

I found the frist kit I posted on pricewatch for 86 bucks, so I bought it. I'll have to build a mount for the water block fo it I bet. I'm planning to cut up the zip drive bay in the sawtooth to make it big enough to house the watercooler pump and tank. It looks easy to do. I'll have to add some brackets to renforce the the case. I'll even cut out the face plate so I can beable to get to the controls from the front.

Post edited by: TCPMeta, at: 2006/01/20 13:54

Re:Water cooling a G4 - 01/20/06 10:30 PM

TCPMeta wrote:
Quote:
I'll have to build a mount for the water block fo it I bet.

Unless you're insanely good at metal work, I suggest eMachineShop for this work. They'll give you a professional result for a decent price.
Posted by: soward

Re:Water cooling a G4 - 01/21/06 07:24 AM

Once you get it going, can you give us a report on its function -- specifically I'd be interested in noise. I've thought about water cooling to reduce noise on my QS and my intel Darwin and FreeBSD machines, but in looking at a couple of kits they seemed to generate more noise with the pump and fan than what I have in place now. Since I'm not overclocking (much) I don't need to dissipate a lot of extra heat...

thanx.
JpS
Posted by: maestro

Re:Water cooling a G4 - 01/21/06 09:31 AM

That kit would be sufficient if you dont plan to oc the cpu. If you do plan to oc it, you can get better (bigger) kits from frozencpu. Thermaltake makes great kits and they are affordable. Check out http://www.frozencpu.com for a great selection. Also, as far as the bracket goes, you could cut a thick piece of plexi to go over the cpu block and attach it to the cpu mounts. I love that you are willing to try it. Keep us updated!
-maestro
Posted by: KnifeLord

Re:Water cooling a G4 - 01/21/06 10:10 AM

With all the talk on watercooling, it makes you wonder why apple doesn't do it... oh thats right because if they did it we would just cut it out and put something else there anyway smile

-Knife

Re:Water cooling a G4 - 01/21/06 10:24 AM

KnifeLord wrote:
Quote:
With all the talk on watercooling, it makes you wonder why apple doesn't do it... oh thats right because if they did it we would just cut it out and put something else there anyway smile

They watercool the high end powermac G5's.... they have to, so they don't melt :ohmy:

I've been working on a liquid cooled Mac now for a while (See "Project: Surgius" below--Been working on it for a long time ) and it can cost a lot of money if you want a premium system. Of course, with the kind of o/c I plan to do, I'll need a premium system.

As far as I know, this guy had the first water cooled G4. At the moment, I'm working on what may be the first watercooled G3. I don't think anybody has done a G5 outside oem, so that's still up for grabs. Any takers? You still can have a claim to fame! :woohoo:

of course, liquid cooling a Mac, even if it's not the [/u]very[u]first, is awesome. True modding at its finest! I can't wait till you're finished, TCPMeta!

Re:Water cooling a G4 - 01/21/06 10:30 AM

soward wrote:
Quote:
Once you get it going, can you give us a report on its function -- specifically I'd be interested in noise. I've thought about water cooling to reduce noise on my QS and my intel Darwin and FreeBSD machines, but in looking at a couple of kits they seemed to generate more noise with the pump and fan than what I have in place now.

Danger Den makes a few solid, quiet pumps. They're expensive, but they make very little noise. With the radiator, you can easily put a fan of your choice that would suit your needs.

Then, of course, there's the ol' matting trick that should help some.