Beige g3 clock settings

Posted by: griffer

Beige g3 clock settings - 01/12/06 11:15 AM

I got my hands on some small jumpers today, so i have been playing with the clock settings of my old beige g3 board.

It's able to boot/run at.

333 cpu, 66 bus, 33 pci.

337 (actually 338 according to osx), 75 bus, 30 pci.

333, 83 bus, 33 pci.

It looks like around 330 is max for this 266 cpu... I was thinking of getting a b/w cpu for it, but don't know if it really speeds things up anymore. Im using it for file sharing/server duty, isn't bus speed more important?

Post edited by: griffer, at: 2006/01/12 19:16
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:Beige g3 clock settings - 01/12/06 02:10 PM

Possibly. If you can find any documentation on the G3s throughput, that will tell you where in the system the bottleneck is. You may find that a faster ATA PCI card would be the best thing to speed it up.

If you can't find any docs, just repeat your overclock tests and transfer a big file and maybe a folder of small ones and see which config is the quickest.

Re:Beige g3 clock settings - 01/12/06 02:10 PM

Oops. Sidetrack makes my trackpad a little unpredictable.

Post edited by: waragainstsleep, at: 2006/01/12 22:15
Posted by: maestro

Re:Beige g3 clock settings - 01/12/06 02:36 PM

You could go with a B/W cpu. It would make a great difference. Add some ram, 512mb should be sufficient. As War stated, the PCI ATA card would make a huge difference. We are talking about moving from a 10mb hard drive bus up to a 133mb bus. Much faster.

-maestro
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Beige g3 clock settings - 01/12/06 08:38 PM

With a B&W processor you would see a jump, though you still have to deal with that 66mhz bus. I would cut your losses and keep this chip at 333mhz and get a cheap B&W board w/ proc. I've seen them on eBay for only $40, which is an awesome deal IMHO.

Why I edited: I wrote beige in the wrong part. Ha!

Post edited by: whitlock, at: 2006/01/13 04:39

Re:Beige g3 clock settings - 01/13/06 06:44 AM

Sry, havn't been home, so couldn't reply until now. Might get a b/w board, just didn't know they where that cheap... The ram should work fine in that too. Only problem is i have to drill new holes in my atx case.

As far as i recall the b/w board work with an atx supply, just by cutting one wire?
But a b/w need a seperate pci graphics card?

Re:Beige g3 clock settings - 01/13/06 11:51 AM

Yes it will need a PCI graphics card. Your RAM will need to be fairly quick if you want to run X on it. And be sure to get a rev 2 board if at all possible. The rev 1s can be somewhat problematic.

Re:Beige g3 clock settings - 01/13/06 12:38 PM

Yea, the ram is pretty fast, it's mainly from my old emac, so it's all PC133, should be fast enough for the B/W.
Posted by: maestro

Re:Beige g3 clock settings - 01/13/06 01:06 PM

B/W G3s only need pc 100 and anything faster makes no difference. Its the amount that you have that makes a difference. Rev 1 board are fine as long as you add a pci hard drive controller. I have built four macs with em. They are cheaper too, cuz people think that they are cursed or something. They arent, they just have a crappy built in ata controller. Ati 7000s are a dime a dozen on eBay. That card should suit you fine unless you want to spend the bucks on a 9200.
-maestro
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:Beige g3 clock settings - 01/14/06 09:49 AM

maestro wrote:
Quote:
That card should suit you fine unless you want to spend the bucks on a 9200.
-maestro

I got one for my 9600 and it works like a charm, but it costs a fortune. I may even get another one. This obviously won't be worth it for a server.

Re:Beige g3 clock settings - 01/14/06 04:54 PM

Actually the memory controller on the B&W is quite ropey too. But only under X. Some of them are rock solid anyway, but some are highly unstable. Its just better to use fast RAM if you have it. By fast, I mean the response time in ms rather than the clock in MHz.